The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

More players are coming onto the court with their hair braided and beads used as an ornament. I would think this would be similar to bows and ribbons and should be discouraged. However, I have not seen any direct ruling on this.

How do you handle this?
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

No one can play on my court with beads in their hair.

Its a safety risk, just like metal hair clips.

If you want to play, you must take them out, no exceptions.
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 3-5-2 indicates that the referee shall not permit any player to wear equipment or apparel which, in his/her judgement, is dangerous or confusing to other players or is not appropriate. Examples of illegal items include but are not limited to: Article 2, head decorations, headwear and jewelry. Exception 2: Rubber/cloth (elastic) bands may be used to control hair. Therefore, if plastic or metal devices or beads are used to control hair, they are illegal and the player should not be permitted to play until they are removed and cloth/rubber or elastic bands are in place. Likewise, in the Illustrated Book on Page 20, the last sentence states, "Decorative hair devices shall not be permitted."
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

No, no, no.

This is jewlery.

It is not allowed.

Period.

(Now if only the people I work with would follow this ruling . . .)
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

I was watching Heat-Hornets game today and one of the players -- I believe his last name was Grant -- was wearing beads. Looked like they could poke somebody's eye out. OK in NBA?
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Brian Grant doesn't have beads in his hair. He just has dreadlocks held together by a rubber band.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
I was watching Heat-Hornets game today and one of the players -- I believe his last name was Grant -- was wearing beads. Looked like they could poke somebody's eye out. OK in NBA?
Trigger pointed out that they are not beads....I have no idea, but in the NBA I see they wear a lot of things that aren't allowed by the NFHS... then again, as we have all pointed out several times...it is a different set of rules...
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
More players are coming onto the court with their hair braided and beads used as an ornament. I would think this would be similar to bows and ribbons and should be discouraged. However, I have not seen any direct ruling on this.

How do you handle this?
To find out how strict you need to be, contact your liability insurance carrier and let them be your guide. Whenever I have to tell a player not to play and a coach or parent gets snippy about it, I end up saying, "I can't afford to lose my house, my car, my kids' college education." Refs DO get sued when kids get hurt, and kids DO get hurt. If your liability insurance won't cover you, you'd better not take the chance.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

To find out how strict you need to be, contact your liability insurance carrier and let them be your guide. Whenever I have to tell a player not to play and a coach or parent gets snippy about it, I end up saying, "I can't afford to lose my house, my car, my kids' college education." Refs DO get sued when kids get hurt, and kids DO get hurt. If your liability insurance won't cover you, you'd better not take the chance.

In addition to the insurance company, I'd ask the state office (or the equivalent) for a rule interpretation as to what is or is not allowed. That way, if it goes trial, you can't be accused of not following the rules.

I tend to think the best route to take is to be more strict rather than more lenient. The rules state that it is in the referee's judgement, and a judgement in this issue could come up in court.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 12:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

I once told a kid he could not wear beads in his hair, but it would be OK to wear them inside his head.

All I got in return was a very puzzled look.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Brian Grant doesn't have beads in his hair. He just has dreadlocks held together by a rubber band.
And you know that because???? They sure looked like beds to me.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

uh - beads not beds. Hmmm Freudian slip, I guess.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

All I got in return was a very puzzled look.
I can't imagine that happens a lot...