The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

I have been seeing more players pulling their shirts over their face when a call is made against them. My opinion is that this is a direct attempt to disrespect an official and should be charged a T.

What are your opinions?
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

No disagreement here, that sounds like a direct T to me.
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Player technical fro sure in this instance. Should come under rule 10.3.8a. "Disrespectfully addressing or contacting an official or gesturing in such a manner as to indicate resentment". Even if it was not meant as disrespectful, but to celebrate a win in the final seconds of a game, it could be a technical.

In other sports, official has the right to eject you from the game, e.g. soccer. HS player in Baltimore ended his HS career after ripping his shirt off celebrating a first half goal.

Old Sun May 02, 2004, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Try a stern word to the coach and/or player before you go to the T. It's not directed at you, so don't take it personally. Try to work with the coach and s/he'll thank you for it.
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Try a stern word to the coach and/or player before you go to the T. It's not directed at you, so don't take it personally. Try to work with the coach and s/he'll thank you for it.
No one could criticize you for calling a technical. Just because it MIGHT not be directed at you (and I am not so sure about that since the player is definitely reacting to your call) doesn't make it acceptable behavior.
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
I have been seeing more players pulling their shirts over their face when a call is made against them. My opinion is that this is a direct attempt to disrespect an official and should be charged a T.

What are your opinions?
Maybe the player is experiencing deep shame and regret for causing you to use your whistle and is attempting to hide his face?
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
No one could criticize you for calling a technical.
I would disagree with that.
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

What are your opinions?
Maybe the player is experiencing deep shame and regret for causing you to use your whistle and is attempting to hide his face?
Chuck, let me ask you a question - would you allow this kind of behavior in a woman's game?
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 09:10pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:

Chuck, let me ask you a question - would you allow this kind of behavior in a woman's game?
Depends on what she looks like...
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
would you allow this kind of behavior in a woman's game?
From this question, it occurs to me that I may not be envisioning this the way everybody else sees it.

If the shirt is removed, or the torso exposed, then I would probably agree that this is so overt that it can't be ignored.

However, if the top of the shirt is simply pulled up to hide the player's face, I would almost certainly not give a T.
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
would you allow this kind of behavior in a woman's game?
However, if the top of the shirt is simply pulled up to hide the player's face, I would almost certainly not give a T.
I wouldn't give a T either in this instance. I was seeing more overt response. OK, we are in agreement then.
Old Sun May 02, 2004, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by w_sohl
Quote:
Quote:

Depends on what she looks like...
w_sohl, I don't know but if Dolly P. played basketball guys would come for miles around to see her get T'd up! LOL
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

I am tlking about pulling it up to cover his head

You have seen these guys do this. They pull their jersey up over their face, drop their hands, and walk around.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Re: I am tlking about pulling it up to cover his head

Quote:
You have seen these guys do this. They pull their jersey up over their face, drop their hands, and walk around.
Actually, Damian, I have not seen guys do that. I don't know what I'd do with that. I hope that fad doesn't work its way to MA.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't call the T. Everything is a situation, but from what was given, I'm not going to interptret this as being about me.

I'd probably mention that if he wants to stay in the game to get his shirt tucked in and keep it in. Otherwise, I'm not stirring the pot. My initial reaction when I read this post (and I have never seen this on the court) was that of shame. You know, like the ostrich head in the sand thing.

BTW, I have been coaching soccer for 10 years, I have never seen a player carded or even talked to by an official for pulling the shirt over the head in celebration of a goal. This type of celebration is not all that uncommon in the sport of soccer. I saw it happen this weekend as a matter of fact.