The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Had an interesting situation occur years ago . A1 on the line for 1-1- his team down by 2. Time left on clock 1.6seconds, A1 makes first shot- misses second but ball rebounds high above ring but clearly outside cylinder. Game horn goes off then A2 above ring and outside cylinder dunks it for 2. Official blows whistle counts 2 Pts- confers with timer -put .6sec back on clock and awards home team B the ball on base-line. Home team inbounds ball time runs out and visiting team wins ProvincialAAA Boys final. It happened to me - Was I wrong???
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 06:37pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
Had an interesting situation occur years ago . A1 on the line for 1-1- his team down by 2. Time left on clock 1.6seconds, A1 makes first shot- misses second but ball rebounds high above ring but clearly outside cylinder. Game horn goes off then A2 above ring and outside cylinder dunks it for 2. Official blows whistle counts 2 Pts- confers with timer -put .6sec back on clock and awards home team B the ball on base-line. Home team inbounds ball time runs out and visiting team wins ProvincialAAA Boys final. It happened to me - Was I wrong???
I like it.
mick
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What provincial AAA boys tournament was this at????? Where was it played and who worked the Fianl with you. If it was in British Columbia we haven't had to worry about a cylinder untill this year. Remember FIBA rules have been played for the last 20 years or so.

by the way richard and kelly did a great job in the final last year, especially in that pressure packed type of game.

keep smiling
SH
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Bc Ref

It was in the early 80's while I was in N.S where they still played a mod of NCAA rules and I believe it was Pete Phipps who worked it withme. I think Roger Caulfield was the winning coach from Windsor N.S You might have heard of those two guys.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is this rule different for FIBA?

In NF, the clock should not start until the touching by A2. If this ever happened to me as a timer, I would probably be killed by the other officials immediately after the game.
Old Mon Jan 01, 2001, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Is this rule different for FIBA?

In NF, the clock should not start until the touching by A2. If this ever happened to me as a timer, I would probably be killed by the other officials immediately after the game.
NO THE RULES ARE THE SAME!, of coarse they are worded differently. The game clock shouldn't have started until the touching of the ball.

Did you see what happened in the Russia/Cuba quarter-final womens game at the Olympics in Sydney?

1.6 seconds left on the game clock, Russia with the ball under their hoop with the availability to run the baseline. ('their hoop' in FIBA is the one that is being defended, NFHS and NCAA this would be 'the oppenents hoop'), Russia tries a long pass up the court for a last second shot, the pass is completed and Russia gets a good shot attempt, there is a rebound, Russia gets a second shot and then a third. All of a sudden i see the trail official,(two person in the olympics) waving off the shot. The clock still showed 1.6 seconds.

THE TIME KEEPER FORGOT TO START THE CLOCK !!!!

The trail official concluded that no time remained, and ended the game. The trail offical was from Canada and works in the Vanouver Association. The assignor at the olympics concluded that he had done a correct thing. No one wanted to see a repeat of 1972.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2001, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

Reply to Mark

Mark,
In FIBA the difference is there is no imaginary cylinder above the rim. In my case there would be no difference. However, if the ball had been in the cylinder in my case, since we were using NCAA rules, there would be Offensive interference- no basket- in FIBA either team can play the ball in that area after the ball leaves the rim on the rebound.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2001, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Was "1972" the USA-Russia incident where a basketball commissioner in the stands ordered time put on the clock?

If not, could someone explain what it was (a bit before my time).

BTW, I still don't quite understand why the clock started before the touching by A2.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 07:17am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I met Phipps's daughter and Caulfield at the CABO camp.

Interesting.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Was "1972" the USA-Russia incident where a basketball commissioner in the stands ordered time put on the clock?

If not, could someone explain what it was (a bit before my time).

BTW, I still don't quite understand why the clock started before the touching by A2.
Yes -- 1972 was the olympic incident.

The clock started early because the timer fu ^h^h messed up.

The problem now is how to deal with it (should the basket count? go to the arrow? how much time is left?).

It calls for 2-3 and game management. I think the original ref (Peter?) did fine.