The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   5 Second Count (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/13307-5-second-count.html)

SteveF Tue Apr 20, 2004 03:33pm

Okay by NFHS rules when does the 5 second count stop? When the ball is touched inbounds or when the ball is released. I know what I think but do not have my rulebook handy and need this confirmed.

Mark Dexter Tue Apr 20, 2004 03:37pm

When the ball is released.

mick Tue Apr 20, 2004 03:39pm

What Mark said.

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
YU.P.
YU.P.

SteveF Tue Apr 20, 2004 03:47pm

Quote:

Has this changed in the last year or two?

Jurassic Referee Tue Apr 20, 2004 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by SteveF
Quote:

Nope. Maybe 25/30 years ago, the count kept going until the ball was touched in bounds. Changed a long time ago, iow.

JRutledge Tue Apr 20, 2004 04:59pm

Until I came to this board, I did not even realize that was a rule (count not ending on the release). The things you learn here. ;)

I guess I was two young.

Peace

ChuckElias Wed Apr 21, 2004 09:16am

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
I guess I was two young.
Maybe even three young!

footlocker Thu Apr 22, 2004 09:21am

that's great Chuck:D

BktBallRef Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:43am

Quote:

Quote:

I guess that means you guessed wrong. :p

It was changed in the mid-80's.

TPS2859 Thu Apr 22, 2004 05:55pm

Just as a 10 second count stops AFTER it gets to the front court (not on the release from the back court) correct?

Mark Dexter Thu Apr 22, 2004 06:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by TPS2859
Just as a 10 second count stops AFTER it gets to the front court (not on the release from the back court) correct?

Correct.

Except the 10-second backcourt stoppage is not just like the 5-second throw-in stoppage. Kinda opposite.

Mark Padgett Thu Apr 22, 2004 06:38pm

Quote:

Okay by NFHS rules when does the 5 second count stop? When the ball is touched inbounds or when the ball is released. I know what I think but do not have my rulebook handy and need this confirmed.
To be nit-picky, the count stops when the ball is released toward the court. If (when allowed) two players OOB pass it to each other while OOB, the count does not stop because one released it toward the other.

And to answer your next question - yes, they can bounce it to each other.

twref Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:56am

On a similar note-A1 is inbounding the ball from the baseline or sideline:

A1 steps on the out of bounds line-but not on to the court-while releasing the ball-This is legal?

A1 used a bounce pass-the ball hits the baseline and then A2 receives the ball-Illegal?

Mark Padgett Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:59am

Quote:

Originally posted by twref
On a similar note-A1 is inbounding the ball from the baseline or sideline:

A1 steps on the out of bounds line-but not on to the court-while releasing the ball-This is legal?

A1 used a bounce pass-the ball hits the baseline and then A2 receives the ball-Illegal?

1)The OOB line is OOB, so you can step on it all you want and you're still OOB.

2)The inbounds throw-in must go directly onto the court. If it hits OOB anywhere first, it's a violation.

twref Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:31pm

Thanks Mark-I tried to inform the coach of an AAU team about the 2nd scenario-shockingly he thought I was wrong.

Another scenario please: A is in the front court with the ball. Wing player A1 passes the ball-goes off B1's hand-off A2's hand and then into the back court. The ball is then either touched/controlled by A2 in the back court-I assume over and back violation.

Wing player A1 passes the ball to A2 and allthough the ball never goes into the back court A2's foot touches the division line while making contact with the ball-over and back violation?