The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quoting Dan_ref in thread 13254 "Winnning Comment"
"Partner ignores him, so coach follows up with "Learn the rule!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy dexter Chuck.

This is about as close to an automatic T as I get.

Especially in AAU ball."

Dan-ref's comment got me to thinking, since I watched AAU tournaments in NY this weekend and in New Jersey two weeks ago. I saw no technical fouls called, despite language that would shock a drill instructor coming from both players and coaches, and coaches walking on the court during play.

Is there a regional difference in what constitutes a T on a coach? From postings in the last month or two, it seems to me that outside of the East Coast there is much less tolerance for coaches antics than what I've seen in New York or DC. Outside the obvious, (George Carlin's 7 words you can't say on TV), what constitutes an automatic T?

I had thought that AAU refs in general just gave more latitude, but after Dan_ref's post, I'm wondering how different unsportsmanlike conduct might be from region to region.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I can't speak about regional differences, but for me automatic T's are profanity (at me) or personal comments ("You stink"). Being an idiot ("Learn the rule!") doesn't automatically qualify.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Chuck's list about covers my list of "automatics". It just happens that his list doesn't include "Learn the rules" but mine does.

No biggie.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Other automatics include (but not limited to) kicking a chair, coming onto the court to address a call, slamming a clipboard because of a call/no-call, one more negative comment after a second straight stop sign.

For me, the more noticable and demonstrative this is, the more likely a technical will be earned.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
Other automatics include (but not limited to) kicking a chair, coming onto the court to address a call, slamming a clipboard because of a call/no-call, one more negative comment after a second straight stop sign.

For me, the more noticable and demonstrative this is, the more likely a technical will be earned.
Why a second stop sign? Stop means stop, you loose credibility if you give more than one.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

Why a second stop sign? Stop means stop, you loose credibility if you give more than one.
I agree. A stop sign means "stop." If I run a stop sign on the street, the cop will not tell me, "One more, and I will give you a ticket."