The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

Player A goes in for a layup while player B attempt to block the shot but misses and slap the back board hard which cause the backboard and rim to shake.(ball rolled out)

I blew my whistle and called a "T" on player B, as I report the "T" to the table, team A convinced my partner that it is also goaltending and that the basket should count and plus the "T" on top of it. So now am in a debate with the players and trying to convince my partner that they canot have both goaltending and "T" by rule.

I can't find my rule book, so can u guys help me out on this ruling?
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 05:26am
Huck Finn

Technical foul.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 06:03am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by xxssmen
Player A goes in for a layup while player B attempt to block the shot but misses and slap the back board hard which cause the backboard and rim to shake.(ball rolled out)

I blew my whistle and called a "T" on player B, as I report the "T" to the table, team A convinced my partner that it is also goaltending and that the basket should count and plus the "T" on top of it. So now am in a debate with the players and trying to convince my partner that they canot have both goaltending and "T" by rule.

See rule 10-3-5(b) and casebook play 10.3.5. If you thought that B made a legitimate attempt to block the shot, as you said above, his play is legal- no matter whether the backboard vibrates or not. No technical foul. You can never call GT either because B never touched the ball. That's rule 9-12.

This might help also:
http://www.officialforum.com/thread/12067

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Apr 16th, 2004 at 07:29 AM]
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So now am in a debate with the players and trying to convince my partner that they canot have both goaltending and "T" by rule.
Just a technical.

While you might occasionally discuss a rule interpretation (i.e., YOURS!) with a coach, you should never argue rules with players. It's not going to get you anywhere. Feel free to explain rules (no standing on the lower block - understand? ), but arguments are not good.

Also, this is a great thread to talk about teamwork, communication, and trusting your partner. Once one official makes a call, we should become like a football crew. Whoever made the call is the "R" and is the only one who announces the call and the penalty. Everyone else, if they have a problem, goes to the calling official (preferably before he announces his call) and we talk it over then - no one should have to 'overrule' anyone else.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 07:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
[/B]
Just a technical.

[/B][/QUOTE]Mark,you'd call a T on a player that attempted to block a shot, but missed the ball and vibrated the backboard? That surprises the hell outa me.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Just a technical.

[/B]
Mark,you'd call a T on a player that attempted to block a shot, but missed the ball and vibrated the backboard? That surprises the hell outa me. [/B][/QUOTE]

No - if it was incidental, then you have no call.

My quote was to indicate that you can't have both the technical and a goaltend/BI.

Of course, if you had any idea of my reputation for technical fouls, you wouldn't be very surprised.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 09:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Since he's attempting to block the shot, it's perfectly legal. No T, no GT. Play on with the rebound. However, you might want to have a doctor x-ray B1's hand for broken bones.