The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Hey All,

I was told you can actually give up to 10 technical fouls on someone.

I was reffing a mens league and I had to kick the guy out of the game after a couple of techs... He kept on being a jerk and cursing extensively at me...

Can I continue to give more T's?

Thanks for your help!
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Hi, your question would get more replies if you posted it in the basketball forum, instead of the General forum, but here's one answer

In NCAA rules, you cannot assess any technical fouls to a person who has already been ejected. That's rule 10-2-2. Once the player, coach, or bench personnel has been ejected, that's it. If the person refuses to leave or continues being a jerk, you have the option of forfeiting the game; but you can't T him/her again.

In HS, there is no rule provision for technical fouls after a person has been DQ'd; so you would be allowed to do it, I think. But I would try to avoid it, personally, unless the action(s) of the offender were extreme -- like initiating contact with me. I'd give him/her a minute to either vent or leave and then forfeit the game.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 09:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

In HS, there is no rule provision for technical fouls after a person has been DQ'd; so you would be allowed to do it, I think. But I would try to avoid it, personally, unless the action(s) of the offender were extreme -- like initiating contact with me. I'd give him/her a minute to either vent or leave and then forfeit the game.
The one situation that extra T's in FED might come into play is regarding a player that has already been ejected for 2 T's, and then MUST, by rule, remain on the bench for the remainder of the game. If he yaps later, I'm gonna lay a 3rd T on him, as well as the corresponding indirect T on the head coach.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
The one situation that extra T's in FED might come into play is regarding a player that has already been ejected for 2 T's, and then MUST, by rule, remain on the bench for the remainder of the game.
True, b/c he is not (except in very unusual cases) "ejected". In NCAA, the player must leave the area of the court. In FED, the player merely becomes bench personnel.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

The one situation that extra T's in FED might come into play is regarding a player that has already been ejected for 2 T's, and then MUST, by rule, remain on the bench for the remainder of the game. If he yaps later, I'm gonna lay a 3rd T on him, as well as the corresponding indirect T on the head coach.
Also, if the player re-entered the game. Then, he could leave the gym with his coach.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Also, if the player re-entered the game. Then, he could leave the gym with his coach.
"Also" what, Tony? Are you saying this is also a case where you'd assess a T to the kid? B/c the flagrant T that used to be assessed for this infraction is no longer on the player, as I'm sure you know. 10-5-3 places the T on the coach (and it's a direct). So are you saying that you'd T both of them?

Even if you T the coach, it's not considered flagrant. So why would the player and coach be leaving the gym?