The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'm an intramural basketball referee here at my college and after reading this board for sometime I've decided to finally become a member. I've learned alot from reading the situations here, as well as had a few laughs from some of them. Thought I'd post a situation I had this past season as my first post:

I was at lead in a two man system during a playoff game and team A was on defense was in a 2-3 zone. I see the player, A1, on the far left go off towards his side line. I continue watching the court and I hear A1 talking to his teammate on the sidelines. I hear "Go in for me" then "Oh I was playing down there." I then see a new player come off the sideline and onto the court, taking A1's place in the zone. It took me sec to process what happened (due to disblief) then I called a Tech on team A for illegal substitution. As I explained the technical foul to team A they said that they didn't know how to sub in to the game!
Old Thu Apr 15, 2004, 11:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptStevenM
I'm an intramural basketball referee here at my college and after reading this board for sometime I've decided to finally become a member. I've learned alot from reading the situations here, as well as had a few laughs from some of them. Thought I'd post a situation I had this past season as my first post:

I was at lead in a two man system during a playoff game and team A was on defense was in a 2-3 zone. I see the player, A1, on the far left go off towards his side line. I continue watching the court and I hear A1 talking to his teammate on the sidelines. I hear "Go in for me" then "Oh I was playing down there." I then see a new player come off the sideline and onto the court, taking A1's place in the zone. It took me sec to process what happened (due to disblief) then I called a Tech on team A for illegal substitution. As I explained the technical foul to team A they said that they didn't know how to sub in to the game!
CaptStevenM,
Lemmee guess, foreign students?
They made it through the season without any problems, or without any refs?

Welcome to the forum.
mick
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptStevenM

I was at lead in a two man system during a playoff game
You'd think this indicates that there's a general knowledge of the rules (or, at least, how to play the game), but it doesn't.

Welcome aboard.
Old Fri Apr 16, 2004, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Hi Steve, Welcome to the forum. Hope you find it useful. In your situation, I think you handled it the only way you could. As Mick and Mark point out, this obviously happened b/c the players just didn't know the most basic rules; although how that's possible in a play-off game is kind of puzzling.

Since you heard them talking, if you could have caught the incoming sub before he really made it all the way onto the court, that would've been great. Sort of wave him back and yell, "Wait for a whistle!" Yes, he stepped onto the court, but if you can keep him from participating and nobody else notices, then I would've preferred to handle it that way.

But in your case, it sounds like you didn't realize what was happening until it was already done. And so, once it's done and you have illegal subs participating -- you have to bang 'em.

Before I was an official, I coached a freshman boys team. The coach of the girls team never played basketball, she only knew volleyball. At one point of a game, she wanted to sub all five of her players out. She had no idea what to do, so she yelled "SUB!", she made the traveling signal (I guess it's the substitution signal in volleyball), and sent five girls running onto the court! The ref wisely blew the whistle and sent the subs back to the table, and made them wait for the next opportunity to sub. We all got a huge laugh out of it.