The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
I went to the Arizona/Miss. State game tonight. I picked up on a couple things that I have questions about.

1) When a player receives his fifth foul, the coach is notified. At this point, the coach has 30 sec. to put in a replacement. Can the coach use this thirty sec. to have a quick team meeting. This happened twice. Both times, all players stayed on the court. Once, it was allowed. The second time, it was not. What's the rule?

2) On the second FT of a two-shot foul, the ref is notified that the sub sitting at the table is for the shooter. The shooter makes the FT and the ref blows his whistle and beckons the sub. No prob there. When the sub came in, he didn't replace the shooter. He replaced another player. Is this legal? Can a coach use this to get a player in instead of having to wait on the next dead ball?

Thanks for your inputs.

P.S. None of the refs were overweight.
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 12:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
I went to the Arizona/Miss. State game tonight. I picked up on a couple things that I have questions about.

1) When a player receives his fifth foul, the coach is notified. At this point, the coach has 30 sec. to put in a replacement. Can the coach use this thirty sec. to have a quick team meeting. This happened twice. Both times, all players stayed on the court. Once, it was allowed. The second time, it was not. What's the rule?

2) On the second FT of a two-shot foul, the ref is notified that the sub sitting at the table is for the shooter. The shooter makes the FT and the ref blows his whistle and beckons the sub. No prob there. When the sub came in, he didn't replace the shooter. He replaced another player. Is this legal? Can a coach use this to get a player in instead of having to wait on the next dead ball?

Thanks for your inputs.

P.S. None of the refs were overweight.
BigDave,
On the 30 sec. wait-for-sub, both coaches could talk if they want unless there is an obvious delay tactic being employed, maybe like getting a drink, and that may amount to the personality of the official.
On the other, the only thing at risk was whether, or not, the player was coming in, or not, depending on the free throw result. It doesn't really matter for whom the sub enters.
mick

Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

i agree with mick on their assessment of the plays.

I would add that if the coach doesn't have a sub ready with in the 30 second time period, a direct 'T' to the coach COULD be given.

What our association has done is treat this 30 second period like a 30 second time out. We have the bench personal sound a horn after 20 second.(usually bring in the sub at this time) and have another horn after the 30 second mark. The second horn indicates that play is to be resumed.

If the coach replaces the player with 5 fouls immediately, we don't bother with the 30 secound time period.

keep smiling
SH
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

In high school, it doesn't matter if the sub is for the shooter or not, he can still enter if the FT is successful. I don't think college is any different, is it?
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

I think I've been doing something wrong for a year and a half now. When there's a sub waiting to go in for a free thrower, and the shot is good, I should whistle and allow the sub to come in? I've been making her wait until the next dead ball. Oops! Tell me the correct procedure again. Thanks!
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 04:22pm
In Memoriam

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by doghead
I think I've been doing something wrong for a year and a half now. When there's a sub waiting to go in for a free thrower, and the shot is good, I should whistle and allow the sub to come in? I've been making her wait until the next dead ball. Oops! Tell me the correct procedure again. Thanks!
Doghead,

When the free Throw ends the ball is dead.
Blow the whistle.
Beckon the sub to replace the shooter.
Count the players.
Check the your partner.
Check the table.
If everything is good, put the ball into play by first waving the end line, so the throwers know they can run the end line.

mick
Old Sun Dec 31, 2000, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
In high school, it doesn't matter if the sub is for the shooter or not, he can still enter if the FT is successful. I don't think college is any different, is it?
Nope.

I think the point is that the coach wanted the sub in the game. If the sub went in for the shooter, then the sub could enter only if the throw was good. The coach decided that it was better to guarantee that the sub got in by replacing a different player.