The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 30, 1999, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I'm still confused about certain parts of the backcourt call.
On a throw-in, if the player catches the ball in the air and lands with his first foot in frontcourt and the second foot comes down in backcourt, is this or is this not a backcourt violation?
Also, what if his first foot down lands in backcourt and the second foot touches down in frontcourt and he then steps or dribbles completely into backcourt?
And, what about the 3 point status: the player is not in frontcourt until both feet and the ball are in frontcourt? Does this only aply to a player dribbling from backcourt to frontcourt?
I know you veteran officials are tired of answering questions about backcourt but I promise that if you'll go through this just one more time, I'll probably never ask again, thanks, Ralph.
Old Tue Nov 30, 1999, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

On a throw-in, if the player catches the ball in the air and lands with his first foot in frontcourt and the second foot comes down in backcourt, is this or is this not a backcourt violation?

No violation (assuming "normal landing"). See Rule 9-9 Exception 1 and Case 9.9D.

Also, what if his first foot down lands in backcourt and the second foot touches down in frontcourt and he then steps or dribbles completely into backcourt?

The player has backcourt status as does the ball. This means he can go deeper into the backcourt if he wishes (though a ten-second count should have started).

And, what about the 3 point status: the player is not in frontcourt until both feet and the ball are in frontcourt? Does this only aply to a player dribbling from backcourt to frontcourt?

This only applies on a dribble. Note that a player can have both feet in the frontcourt and dribble the ball in the backcourt. Furthermore, he may then retreat back into the backcourt, as the ball never had frontcourt status.

I know you veteran officials are tired of answering questions about backcourt but I promise that if you'll go through this just one more time, I'll probably never ask again,

No problem. It's much easier to go through all the possible backcourt scenarios beforehand than it is to figure it out at full-speed on the court.
Old Tue Nov 30, 1999, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Same question came up on the IAABO-Gergia HS test last night. Ken is correct, no violation.

By the way, it is better to ask a question here, than have a coach hear you ask your partners on the court.
Good Luck !