The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Really enjoy this forum.

45 second shot clock; team A is leading by 1 point with about 50 seconds left and posession; team B elects to play defense and not foul. A1 holds ball near half court until just prior to expiration of shot clock, and then shoots a jumper very high into the gym, which misses the rim and backboard and lands out of bounds about the same time the buzzer sounds. Coach A is adamant that time should expire. Coach B admits he doesnt know the rule but thinks the game clock should be restored to when the shot clock expired, because the ball didn't hit the rim. After consultation, officials put 1 second on clock, ruling that is the time left on game clock when it became clear a violation had occurred. Everyone admitted confusion.

This happened some time ago, and I've never really been clear on what should have happened. Correct result?
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
First of all, I'm just curious, where and when did this happen? Why was the shot clock 45 seconds?

To answer your question, let's just make the sequence explicit.

1) shot is released,
2) shot clock expires,
2a) x number of seconds elapse on the game clock,
3) game clock expires,
4) ball fails to hit the rim.

In the NCAA (and thus in most states that use a shot clock for HS), the game is over.

In the NBA, a shot clock violation has occured. x number of seconds are put back on the game clock, and the ball is awarded to the team that was on defense.

I'm sorry, but I don't have either rulebook handy at the moment. I'm sure Dan will provide you with the NCAA AR.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

It was a year where the 9th graders on varsity played games with the jv teams before the varsity games on Friday nights. Shorter games and longer shot clock, I guess to get both games in.

The sequence was essentially as you describe it, except that I think the officials ruled that a second was left on the clock when the ball passed below the rim, and so they determined that's when the violation occurred and put 1 second back on the clock.

Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

See NCAA Rule 2, A.R. 35 for this situation.

If, however, at 1 second left on the clock, you realize the shot is going to miss, you can reset the game clock.