The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 28, 2000, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Situation: completed the 1st half, go to the table, switch the arrow, check with books, they say all OK, go to dressing room. Back on floor 3 min before end of halftime. Buzzer sounds and they wave us to the table and inform us that A8 had played during the first half and they had to add her name during the 1st quarter when she first entered the game. her name had been added after the R had noted the lineup 10 min prior. The R said it was too late to give a T. After discussion we started the 2nd half with a T for entering name after game started. The book (NF) states it is penalized when it occurs?? What is your opinion on giving the T when it became known to the officials, or were we too late to give the T??
Old Thu Dec 28, 2000, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Too late!

I believe you needed to give the T when it happened. How could this get by without anyone saying anything?? I can't believe the scorer didn't say a thing! Must have been two brain-dead scorers!
Old Thu Dec 28, 2000, 05:31pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Too late!

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
I believe you needed to give the T when it happened. How could this get by without anyone saying anything?? I can't believe the scorer didn't say a thing! Must have been two brain-dead scorers!
Casey,
Home team bookkeeper could've been a 9th grader.
mick
Old Sat Dec 30, 2000, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Your R was correct. It was too late to assess the technical foul. If a name is added to the book after the game is started, the technical foul must be assessed prior to the next live ball. In your situation, it was obviously too late. Here's a similiar case book play.

10.1.2. Play: (a) Three minutes prior to the start of the game; or (b) during a time-out in the second quarter of play, the Team B coach requests the scorer to add a name to the squad list or change a squad member's number in the scorebook. When is the penalty invoked for this administrative infraction? Ruling: The infraction occurs when the scorer is advised to add to or change the scorebook. The foul must be charged when it occurs and enforced when the ball next becomes live. Once the ball has become live, it is too late to penalize.