The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

I've been reading this forum all season and finally decided to jump in. I have found this forum to be very informative and somewhat humorous at times. Some of you have formed very good relationships. I have had situations occur in games that have I previously read about in this forum and was able to administer them correctly because of it. Thanks. Here is a situation I'd like your opinions on. In a 7th grade girls club type game Team A is running an inbounds play under their basket. 4 girls line up along the free throw line, one steps back, and they lob the ball over the other three to her. While this is happening the other 3 girls interlock their arms. Illegal use of arms 4-24-9. Now is it just a violation or do you call a foul and on which one? I just called it a violation and told the coach as I passed him not to run that play again, ever. There was no contact as no girl tried to get through it, but if there was. Foul.. on which one. Thanks
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Hmm.

I'd have to go with a foul in this case.

First off, all the other parts of Sec. 24 (except 8) are fouls. Art. 8 is the only article which specifically mentions a violation for illegal use of the hands.

Second, there's no violation for locking arms in Rule 9 - the list of violations and their penalties. Section 13 only states a penalty for the illegal swinging of arms/elbows.

Because it's a foul - nothing is called until there is contact (meaning, of course, the defensive player needs to try to go through the 'offensive line' not just go around it or stand there frustrated). In this case, I think the interlocked arms rule takes precedence over the 3 feet rule (which would call this a charge).

As to who gets the foul - should probably be a multiple, but I'd just pick out the first contact that occurred (or, what I saw occur first).
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 12:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If he runs it again, and there's contact with more than one screener, consider a multiple foul. That should put a stop to it, especially if you're shooting free throws before you get to the bonus, and he's suddenly 2 fouls closer to that bonus.
I like the idea of a violation, I just don't see that spelled out. It says in 4-24-9 that they can't do it, but it doesn't lay out a penalty like it does for swinging the elbows.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Guys, this is a technical foul. FED 10-1-11. No mention of it in NCAA, that I can find.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
If he runs it again, and there's contact with more than one screener, consider a multiple foul. That should put a stop to it, especially if you're shooting free throws before you get to the bonus, and he's suddenly 2 fouls closer to that bonus.
Just a reminder (because it happens so rarely) - the penalty for a non-shooting multiple foul is one free throw for each foul(er).
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Guys, this is a technical foul. FED 10-1-11. No mention of it in NCAA, that I can find.
Son of a Dexter - I suppose it helps to look through the whole rulebook when I'm answering questions.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks. I didn't like the feel of it at the time, just something you never see in high school games.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Good call Chuck. BTW, I wouldn't tell a coach "not to run that play again, ever" If he chooses to run the risk of running that play on another night, it's his prerogative. I would consider the present game as my jurisdiction. After that, I’ll assume that he is smart enough not to run that play in front of me.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 01:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Thanks, Chuck. That was my first guess, but I didn't follow through with that. Okay, now I have another question on this. Who do we charge the T to? I can't find it.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who do we charge the T to? I can't find it.
It's under 10-1. That's the only hint I'm going to give
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Rickref
In a 7th grade girls club type game Team A is running an inbounds play under their basket. 4 girls line up along the free throw line, one steps back, and they lob the ball over the other three to her. While this is happening the other 3 girls interlock their arms. Illegal use of arms 4-24-9. Now is it just a violation or do you call a foul and on which one? I just called it a violation and told the coach as I passed him not to run that play again, ever.
At 7th grade girls, you should warn the team the first time they try it, and then penalize after that. These coaches don't know the rules, and it seems a little harsh to just whack them. A violation is a great warning, altough it's totally not within the rule book, you manage to control the game within the spirit and intent of the rules. Considering you didn't know the details, I'd say you did very well. And coming here to get the skinny was a great move!
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 02:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quote:
Who do we charge the T to? I can't find it.
It's under 10-1. That's the only hint I'm going to give
That's tricky. It's in the title of the subsection. Team Technical. Thanks.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Team Technical. Thanks.
Counts toward the bonus and nothing else. Doesn't go to any of the players, no indirect on the coach. If mick was around, he'd give you an "Attaboy!"