The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 27, 2000, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Question

I have what may end up being a stupid question, but what the heck!

In the back of the Rules book is the signal for a "hand-check." Is there ANYTHING in the rulebook about the specifics of what a hand-check is?
Old Wed Dec 27, 2000, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

The word(s) hand-check do not appear in the rule book. It only appears in one place in the case book.

10.6.1F. Play: A1 begins a drive toward the basket with a quick dribble and step to evade B1. B1 momentarily hand checks A1 and forces A1 to take a wider approach. Ruling: A hand-checking foul on B1. Even though the contact was only momentary it did give B1 an opportunity to get into better position and forced A1 to take a different route toward the basket.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2000, 12:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Hey Paul - how are things down in the southern part of the state? Here's some info on the handcheck mechanic.

We used it for a ton of years, then a few years ago the signal was eliminated and we were instructed to use the illegal use of hands signal for a handcheck.

It really caused some problems because coaches thought we felt a player got "hacked" when obviously he didn't. Some refs used the pushing signal because it was more representative. Upon numerous requests from refs, the signal was reinstated.

Now, if we could only get signals approved for "over the back" and "reaching", we would reduce coach yelling by 20%
Old Wed Dec 27, 2000, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Now, if we could only get signals approved for "over the back" and "reaching", we would reduce coach yelling by 20%
You'd have to have two over-the-back signals, and two for reaching. One each would be for the legal movement which involves no contact, and one each for the actual fouls. What you said a few days ago is true: Many people think "over the back" means that any play from behind is illegal even if it involves no contact. I've seen parents yell about "over the back," even when the ball was so far behind their little Jonnie that the supposed fouler had to reach back to get it!

So you could have one signal for the legal move like how we signal a "tip" or "all ball", and another for the foul. Think the rules committee would go for it?
Old Wed Dec 27, 2000, 02:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
You'd have to have two over-the-back signals, and two for reaching. One each would be for the legal movement which involves no contact, and one each for the actual fouls.
So you could have one signal for the legal move like how we signal a "tip" or "all ball", and another for the foul. Think the rules committee would go for it?
Julie - I think you're missing my point. The winky face should have been a tip-off. There are no such fouls as over-the-back and reaching, although every coach, player and parent think there are.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2000, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
[B]Hey Paul - how are things down in the southern part of the state? [B]
We're doing good here! (Did I tell you we finally got electricity put in the house?)

Thanks for the comments on hand-checking. I rarely see it used and don't use it myself. Seems the other signals, illegal use, pushing and so forth handle most instances. And then there are all the non-approved signals officals use. I see the "forearm" signal quite a bit.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2000, 05:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
We're doing good here! (Did I tell you we finally got electricity put in the house?)
That must take one hell of a big hamster

Quote:
Thanks for the comments on hand-checking. I rarely see it used and don't use it myself. Seems the other signals, illegal use, pushing and so forth handle most instances. And then there are all the non-approved signals officals use. I see the "forearm" signal quite a bit.
After umpteen years, I finally rid myself of the habit of keeping my fists clenched on a block call and now use the proper mechanic. However, I still find myself "swinging a forearm" away from my chest to indicate a PC foul in which the dribbler pushed the defender away.

[Edited by Mark Padgett on Dec 27th, 2000 at 04:43 PM]
Old Wed Dec 27, 2000, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think those "tip" and "all ball" signals are supposed to be used.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2000, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Sorry, Mark, I can't seem to make the little "faces" work for me, so I ignore them in other messages. I did catch the irony (sarcasm?) in your post and was trying to respond in kind...

Bob, I never use the tip signal, I know its not legit, and I;m trying to be very, very legit.

Anyway, I was just kidding. I think I'll spend the next fifteen minutes trying to \get cute little smiley faces into my posts.

juulie
Old Wed Dec 27, 2000, 09:08pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up good one

Quote:
Sorry, Mark, I can't seem to make the little "faces" work for me, so I ignore them in other messages. I did catch the irony (sarcasm?) in your post and was trying to respond in kind...

Bob, I never use the tip signal, I know its not legit, and I;m trying to be very, very legit.

Anyway, I was just kidding. I think I'll spend the next fifteen minutes trying to \get cute little smiley faces into my posts.

juulie

juulie,
Welcome to the world of the misunderstood.

mick
Old Wed Dec 27, 2000, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

juulie
You should at least chided mark for misspelling your name! !
Old Wed Dec 27, 2000, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
use of the "tip" signal...

Here's a situation...

I'm at trail and I see a quick pass to the post area. A1 passes the ball and B1 tips the pass. The ball then goes untouched OOB. Isn't this an appropriate time to let your partner know that the ball was tipped by the defender?

This "mechanic" has saved me several times in those bang-bang pass situations. When my partner sees that I have a tipped ball, he knows to give it back to the offense.

And, yes, I know that this is not a "real" mechanic.

Thoughts?
Old Wed Dec 27, 2000, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

When I'm communicating with the table or making a call, I use the proper mechanics. But I don't have a problem with a signal such as the hand tip as a communication tool between officials. When we have less than one minute to play in a quarter, we raise one finger to acknowledge that we are aware of the clock. That's not in the book either. Some guys tap their head, which I think looks really stupid.

I don't use the psuedo signals such as "full TO," "not closely guarded," "kicking the ball," or "she got all ball."
Old Thu Dec 28, 2000, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I found some notes that were taken last year at a meeting. I think it was the infamous, "Get a clue" speech that was highly talked about on another board. But one of the points was never to use the tip signal since it has an ambiguous meaning in basketball.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2000, 01:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I agree on not using the tip signal (or any other) to indicate there was no foul and that the defender got all ball. However, I do use it on an OOB call to indicate that a shot was tipped coming out of the shooters hand and that the ball should go back to the shooting team. I usually accompany that with a verbal explanation indicating the same.