The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

In attending my first Officials camps this summer, what kinds of black shorts and brands are out there? Most camps require a black short of some type but othere than the good old "polyester" umpire shorts anybody have any other ideas? Thanks
P.S. Its sad to see the Basketball season coming to a close, as Im not a big baseball fan.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

I've got three different pairs of black shorts, from two different manufacturers, made of three different kinds of fabric. All have been acceptable at camps ranging from local HS camps to bigger camps given by D1 guys.

While I have suspected that my choice of shorts is the reason I'm not working D1 yet, the evaluators keep giving me this line about not enough experience/ability/knowledge/presence/fitness/etc. I wish they'd just own up to it and tell me it's the shorts!
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 06:15pm
Huck Finn

If you wear the coaches shorts take a picture and send it to me!
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 07:32pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Check Honing's under the football uniforms. They have the black shorts there. Or, buy the pants they sell to wrestling refs, cut part of the legs off, make shorts out of them, and then use the unused fabric to make belt loops on coaches shorts. If you want to go beltless, be sure the coaches shorts are tight, otherwise they slip like crazy.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 08:13pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Check Honing's under the football uniforms. They have the black shorts there. Or, buy the pants they sell to wrestling refs, cut part of the legs off, make shorts out of them, and then use the unused fabric to make belt loops on coaches shorts. If you want to go beltless, be sure the coaches shorts are tight, otherwise they slip like crazy.
Are you serious?
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

I have been to several DI camps and most officials wear black mesh gym shorts like Nike ect.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

I hope you take some pants as backups. Most camps I attend require Pants.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 09:15pm
Huck Finn

I really want to know if he is serious about the coaches shorts. This is 2004! Do not go to a camp and wear those tight shorts. Nike mesh/basketball shorts. Not too long, NOT too short. If anything lean towards long.

I want to know if that guy is serious about wearing coache's shorts.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 09:29pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Well, I've seen some guys wear the coaches pants. I only wear the coaches pants when I work some tournaments during the summer. I haven't been scolded for doing so yet. Matter of fact, I've had some vets compliment me on my shorts and sneer at the younger guys who prefer the Nike mesh shorts or similar. The vets who have this reaction say that wearing the mesh shorts put us on the same level as the kids, which is what we're supposed to avoid. I'm just listening to some of the vets I've worked with.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

don't go overboard

I agree, Just a good mesh short. Summer can get hot and comfort is important when running off and on all day long.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 09:31pm
Ref Ump Welsch

tomegun, not to criticize you, but what would you say to a camp director who says no mesh shorts? You going to say the same thing you just said to me? If I were going to a camp, I'd probably take a pair or 2 of the mesh shorts, as well as my trusty "coaches" shorts, just in case the camp director has a temperment for the older stuff.
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 09:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Footlocker, Champs or even Sportmart.

You can go to any sporting good store and pick up a pair of all black shorts. Get them a little baggy and a little long. And whatever you do, wear white socks not black. Do that last one for your sake.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 06:15am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
tomegun, not to criticize you, but what would you say to a camp director who says no mesh shorts? You going to say the same thing you just said to me? If I were going to a camp, I'd probably take a pair or 2 of the mesh shorts, as well as my trusty "coaches" shorts, just in case the camp director has a temperment for the older stuff.
First of all in all my years I've never heard of specifying which type of shorts to wear. I guess if someone told me to wear those tight ___ coaches shorts that would be one mark against me. If you would wear those to the camps I've attended that allow shorts in the past 5 years someone would be telling you to get some different shorts. I don't think you are being critical of me but most campers and camp directors have changed with the times. Remember when the majority of officials wore runnin refs? Now the shoes aren't even all black (an air bubble, a little white, a little gray). I don't want to start a big thing but do you still wear a belt? Do you still wear runnin refs? I'm not concerned with being on the same level with the kids because I will be on the court with a black and white shirt and my whistle. We are basketball refs so what is wrong with wearing basketball shorts? If you've noticed guys wear basketball shoes now too.

I'm mostly joking about this but I wouldn't mind a picture if you are really going to wear those shorts!
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
I hope you take some pants as backups. Most camps I attend require Pants.
Even the camps that 'allow' shorts, I think you will look more professional in the pants. Of course, if EVERYBODY is wearing shorts you don't want to be a sore thumb either, but if there is some of each go with the pants.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 06:45am
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

No, I wouldn't wear coaches shorts, since I still have nightmares from high school and watching my coach back then wear the damn things. It wasn't always a pretty sight, especially when he didn't have time to tan his legs before 3-a-days in August. (shuddering). I prefer the shorts I was able to create from the wrestling refs pants, since I put a little extra length in them. These shorts are great for doing scrub games in football, so I don't have to buy extra clothes for each sport, so on on on and on.