The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

This forum is awesome. Let's face it, basketball officiating is a complex job that requires diligent refs. The forum promotes this. I wanted to start a thread about what I like and dislike about it.

I appreciate how issues arise in our daily/weekly refereeing that we can discuss on levels of rules and philosophy. There have been situations where I have learned to take a new perspective. There is a ton of experience on this forum. I always know that after coming to an interesting situation in a game that I can make a post and get a bunch of feedback about it.

However, some posters will take any post that disagrees with them and make it a personal attack on the disagreeing party. It is sad really how this detracts from legitimate discussions and becomes ego fighting.

Learning and sharing is good. Thanks.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 11:46am
Esteemed Participant

What I like: the discussions, but also the banter that gets mixed in...esp. all those disgusting pictures that Yankee-lover JR posts all the time...

What I don't like: All the mental images of Padgett in various stages of undress that keep popping up...yuck...

And I still think the Yankees suck...even at .500...
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 11:58am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

What I like is when authors create posts that could be forwarded to their mothers, wives and kids.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Likes: Posts that deal with tough plays (believe it or not, I miss crew's "gps" posts); posts about a person's first game at the "next" level; getting the coach's perspective from PA Coach and Hawks Coach; what seems like genuine comeraderie among many of us here, including the good natured ribbing.

Dislikes: All the morons that come out of the woodwork at tourney time (I wish we could just weed them out); surveys that re-appear every time things get slow (what's your favorite shoe? how much do you get per game?); no search function.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

This forum has been so valuable to my improvement on the court. I have many years of experience in the rec league arena, but this is my first year in the leagues requiring a license. I have an opportunity this summer to do a college recruiting camp for two weekends and I owe this forum for improving my skills to provide me this adventure.

Likes: The mechanic discussion as that is where I need want to improve. The association discussions i.e. assigning issues, reporting back when game situations occur, evaluation topics.

Dislikes: The acronymns were difficult to learn at first. Softball/baseball use more of these. But I suggest to spell out more for use newbies. Also the personal inside jokes are hard to understand as I have not been around long enough to know everyone to a level to enjoy the jokes.

Rick
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 01:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by rafking
Also the personal inside jokes are hard to understand as I have not been around long enough to know everyone to a level to enjoy the jokes.
What jokes?
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 01:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad

What I don't like: All the mental images of Padgett in various stages of undress that keep popping up...yuck...
Hey! I usually charge for that. Be grateful.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Dislikes: The acronymns were difficult to learn at first. Softball/baseball use more of these. But I suggest to spell out more for use newbies.
I'm just wondering what acronyms we use? (I can only think of BC, BI, GT, and FT.)
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Dislikes: The acronymns were difficult to learn at first. Softball/baseball use more of these. But I suggest to spell out more for use newbies.
I'm just wondering what acronyms we use? (I can only think of BC, BI, GT, and FT.)
Some TLAs are OOB, POI, LGP and BFD.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 02:08pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

And don't forget BFE to refer to the god-forsaken places some of you poor slobs have to live in...
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And don't forget BFE to refer to the god-forsaken places some of you poor slobs have to live in...
cute...real cute....
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BFD?
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Likes: each person has a different point of view about the same situation.

dislikes: personal attacks, & off-season
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

LIKE: The vbaluable discussion of rules, interps, handling situations, and some of the banter (it gets a bit much at times for my taste, but I can live with it). Overall, I am pleased to see a growing community of refs that want to share information and improve how they call games - it makes it better for all participants when the refs take things this seriously.

BORES ME (but I understand and simply ignore): Threads on mechanics (a necessary point for y'all, but tedious to me), and any thread on shoes, pants, belts (or not!), deoderant, how to keep your hairpiece on while running the court, etc.

DISLIKE: When threads get overly silly, and when people just throw bombs back and forth. At times, a thread starts on a legitimate point and degenerates from that point because smebody takes things a little too personal. And I probably have been guilty too. but people can get so touchy that we can't even have a discussion of what might be an interesting topic.

HATE: People who come here just to post attacks. This year is the worst I have seen, and I hope it stops. We all have opinions, but this is not your local sports radio call in show - call them if all you want to do is complain about how somebody hosed your team with a bad call.
Old Fri Apr 02, 2004, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
BFD?
Big Deal. Fill in the rest yourself.