The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 24, 2000, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I would like to know how a person becomes licensed to officiate NAIA or NCAA games. I am sure someone could tell me. I am fairly new, so I have a lot of work to do, but Iwant to look to the future. Thanks!
Old Sun Dec 24, 2000, 10:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Post No such thing.

You are simply hired by an assignor over these levels. You do not have to get a license per say. All you have to do is to go to a camp with evaluators there and if you are good enough you can do these levels, but you will never have to pass a test or give some money (other than the camp) to do these levels. At least I have never been told that, but someone that actually does those levels would be better to answer what is required for sure. I still just do HS level games.

Quote:
Originally posted by MattRef
I would like to know how a person becomes licensed to officiate NAIA or NCAA games. I am sure someone could tell me. I am fairly new, so I have a lot of work to do, but Iwant to look to the future. Thanks!
Old Tue Dec 26, 2000, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

JRut, you're pretty much right on.

In addition to what JRut said, recommendations from collegiate officials, from what I am aware of, is also very important.

2 D3 assignors whom I have met start with such recommendations before ever lending consideration to hiring new officials. Basically, if one of the assignors' trsuted officials says another official they know can be trusted, then that new official will have his/her foot in the door.
Old Wed Dec 27, 2000, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the input. I was curious as to how it worked. I know I have a lot of work to do before then to get good at it. I really appreciate it.