The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Just wondering if anyone noticed the throw-in violation called by Lucky in the NIT SEMI..

BIG TIME call cuz... it took away there chance to score.

Was it right.. ????

after looking at it on replay...

looks as if he likely still had a foot inside the 3 foot area that he has to make the throw in... tv lies at times though.. and anyone knows that...

he made a good signal.. and thank god he didn't signal traveling violation.. as a guy did in last years NCAA tourny..
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

I'm taping the game to watch later. I'll post my thoughts when I review it.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

The talking heads called it Traveling...

It looked to me that he did not leave the 3' boundry. The commentators were talking up about how they are taught to keep the pivot foot down...balh blah blah. I didn't agree with the call, but, 3 foot isn't that far especially looking from the TV angle. So, it could have been right on.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 09:55pm
In Memoriam

They only re-played it once. I would have liked to have seen it again. I thought that the player moved up the sideline past the 3-foot area, and then stepped back and got a foot back into the 3-foot area when he actually made the throw-in. Looked like a good call to me.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 10:05pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Watched the last few seconds at the bar after my softball meeting. The call was a good one. Player went from the backcourt side of the division line to the front court side of it. That would have to be at least a stride of at least 3 feet.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't think he went past the 3-foot box. Just my humble opinion.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 10:37pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Wink

By the way, saw it on a big screen TV. Blocked out all the boozing sand volleyball players in the bar to take a look at the replay. Popular person I was, not!
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

How is 3 ft. measured?

I could not find in rulebook, maybe in casebook which I do not own, but how is the three feet measured? Is it 1.5 feet from the center of the body of the thrower, or some other way? I've wondered for a while, but have never seen it called other than when it was REALLY obvious (Thrower runs baseline when they shouldn't, something like that) but I just wondered.

Thanks, Coach W
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by CoachW
(Thrower runs baseline when they shouldn't, something like that)
The basic soccer throw-in. Yup, that's illegal. getting the details on a less obvious violation is more difficult. I hope someone gives you a definitive answer, buecause I have trouble with this too.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 12:46am
We don't rent pigs

It is 3 feet the same way that closely guarded is 6 feet.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 04:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
The 3ft area is the designated spot. If a player decides to stand at the far left of the 3 foot area then all 3ft or whatever is left over is to the right of player. Its custom to point to the center of the designated spot and put the player there. From there they have 18" to either side. Of course this area is bounded by the side line or endline, but it does extend infinitly backward (at least by rule).

I do bring this question forward to the discussion, and I think its been discussed before, but anyway...could a player move backward and then move up the bleachers as long as he is withing the 3ft side to side limit??? The rule does say on or over the designated spot. =P
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Are NFHS and NCAA rules the same for spot throwins?
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BoomerSooner
The 3ft area is the designated spot. If a player decides to stand at the far left of the 3 foot area then all 3ft or whatever is left over is to the right of player. Its custom to point to the center of the designated spot and put the player there. From there they have 18" to either side. Of course this area is bounded by the side line or endline, but it does extend infinitly backward (at least by rule).

I do bring this question forward to the discussion, and I think its been discussed before, but anyway...could a player move backward and then move up the bleachers as long as he is withing the 3ft side to side limit??? The rule does say on or over the designated spot. =P
"Advantage not provided for in the rules . . ."

Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Watched the last few seconds at the bar after my softball meeting. The call was a good one. Player went from the backcourt side of the division line to the front court side of it. That would have to be at least a stride of at least 3 feet.
Just how wide are the midcourt lines in your neck of the woods? They are only 2" here!
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 09:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Just how wide are the midcourt lines in your neck of the woods? They are only 2" here!

A 3' wide foot center line. That'd be cool!