The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Question

I think some of you folks have used google to search for a thread, how? For example: The legandary traveling quiz, or more genericly maybe v-neck shirts.

Thanks, Stan
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Go to Google, and type in the term for which you want to search. Then, append:

site: officialforum.com

To the end of your search.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

Thanks Mark

I did get it to work, however, I couldn't get it to narrow down as much as I'd like. I was looking for a thread that I started over a year ago about cleaning your whistles. It went on for several pages and was pretty funny after a while. I wanted to attach it to a thread that rainmaker just started.
Thanks, Stan
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter

Thanks Mark

I did get it to work, however, I couldn't get it to narrow down as much as I'd like. I was looking for a thread that I started over a year ago about cleaning your whistles. It went on for several pages and was pretty funny after a while. I wanted to attach it to a thread that rainmaker just started.
Thanks, Stan
Some Google tips:

If you're getting more returns than you like, you can eliminate pages with certain words with a minus sign.
  • Example: to eliminate pages that mention baseball use -baseball.

If you want to only see pages where the words happen together, include the two words in quotes.
  • Example: to find pages that mention the shoes new balance but not ones that talk about a new rule to balance the game, use "new balance" (with the quotes).

If you want to see pages with either word but not necessarily both, put the word OR between them.
  • Example: you want to find pages that mention bob jenkins or rainmaker, use "bob jenkins" OR rainmaker

The order in which you put things on google is irrelevant.

THere are lots more things you can do with google...all of them can be seen by using their "Advanced search" (a link to the right of the search term box). Try some things there, and see what it actually puts in the search term box once you click submit. For the basic ones I mention above, and a few others, you can type them directly. I use the minus and quotes very often. I do a search, then either add more specific terms or add minus terms to eliminate pages. You can really narrow a search down a lot using these features.