The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Announcers again (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12986-announcers-again.html)

Adam Tue Mar 30, 2004 07:39pm

Duke Minnesota women's game. Duke's Foley driving the lane plows into a Minnesota player. Tight play, block called by lead official. Female announcer says, "I think the concern was with how deep she was in the lane. If she was under the orange [rim], and I think she was, then it was a good call."

argh!

ChuckElias Tue Mar 30, 2004 07:48pm

Hate to break it to you, Adam, but this is a pro philosophy that's been explicitly adopted by the NCAA on the women's side. Appendix III, section 12b of the NCAA rulebook (page 156) states that "A defender who establishes a position directly under the cylinder or behind the backboard when a dribbler becomes an airborne shooter is not in a legal guarding position, regardless if she got to the spot first. If contact occurs, the official must decide whether the contact is incidental or a foul has been committed by the defender."

<font color = red>DISCLAIMER!! Please disregard the disclaimer in my tagline!!</font>

[Edited by ChuckElias on Mar 30th, 2004 at 07:01 PM]

Adam Tue Mar 30, 2004 07:57pm

Ah, man. I was wrong and the announcers were right.

Now, where'd that BBQ sauce go? I've got some crow to eat.

Jurassic Referee Tue Mar 30, 2004 07:59pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Appendix III, section 12b of the NCAA rulebook (page 156) states that "A defender who establishes a position directly under the cylinder or behind the backboard when a dribbler becomes an airborne shooter is not in a legal guarding position, regardless if she got to the spot first. If contact occurs, the official must decide whether the contact is incidental or a foul has been committed by the defender."

Then why are you saying that the ruling is relevant for men's games only? :confused:

ChuckElias Tue Mar 30, 2004 08:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Then why are you saying that the ruling is relevant for men's games only? :confused:
OOPS!!! I forgot I'd said it!! LOL

Camron Rust Tue Mar 30, 2004 08:34pm

Quote:

Quote:

Perhaps you should reword your disclaimer:

Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only unless otherwise stated! ;)

(Just trying to get my post count in the ball park of you two prolific posters ;) )

Nevadaref Tue Mar 30, 2004 08:35pm

ESPN announcers

Anybody watching the Minn/Duke womens' game? The announcers are just ripping the officials. Statements such as this is a joke. That's horrible.
I was quite stunned by their professionalism.

Mark Dexter Tue Mar 30, 2004 08:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:

Quote:

Perhaps you should reword your disclaimer:

Any NCAA rules and interpretations in this post are relevant for men's games only unless otherwise stated! ;)

(Just trying to get my post count in the ball park of you two prolific posters ;) )

Sounds like a good idea.

Both parts of your post. :p

Nevadaref Tue Mar 30, 2004 09:04pm

who are they?

For those of you watching this game, who are the two commentators?

Snake~eyes Tue Mar 30, 2004 09:22pm

NIT Semifinals - Rutgers v. ISU
Announcer says player has to establish a pivot foot during throw in. He does "walk" and ref points at feet, I assume he stepped inbounds and that was the violation. I hope that NFHS and NCAA are the same in this perspective. :D

Jurassic Referee Tue Mar 30, 2004 09:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Anybody watching the Minn/Duke womens' game? The announcers are just ripping the officials. Statements such as this is a joke. That's horrible.

You mean lack of professionalism, I take it. I was going back and forth between both games. I muted the sound on both. Easier on the nerves. The problem is that the fanboys watching actually believe these gomers, and then nobody can tell them anything different. We get "Nope, I don't care what the rulebook says. ESPN said that it was a terrible call". If anybody wants to disagree with that statement, just check out some of the posts and posters that we've had inflicted on us over the last few weeks. It's almost enough to make an even-tempered feller like myself speak out.

Jurassic Referee Tue Mar 30, 2004 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
NIT Semifinals - Rutgers v. ISU
Announcer says player has to establish a pivot foot during throw in. He does "walk" and ref points at feet, I assume he stepped inbounds and that was the violation. I hope that NFHS and NCAA are the same in this perspective. :D

I couldn't see the feet on the replay, but I think that the call was for the player throwing the ball in stepping outside the 3-foot area along the sideline. That looked like the signal given too.

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:11pm

Professionalism and commentators in the same sentence????? Have we landed on Mars????

Nevadaref Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:26pm

Re: ESPN announcers

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
Yeah, that's my sarcasm.

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:34pm

I figured you were scarcastic, but I just wanted to keep the ball rolling. High time we gifted zebras consider ourselves appropriate educated compared to the howler monkeys and annoying announcers.