The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

At a high school game this season one of the teams brought its wrong set of jerseys (light instead of dark), so the home team played in its dark jerseys instead.

The visiting coach wrote all the players' names in the scorebooks with their uniform numbers. EVERY ONE of these numbers was wrong- they had the style of uniforms with odd numbers for dark jerseys, even number for light.

The officials on the scene assessed ONE technical foul for this scorebook violation, on the head coach.

My recollection from my high school days - because I saw it happen once then, too - is when this happens, a technical foul is supposed to be assessed for EACH PLAYER IN THE SCOREBOOK wearing an incorrect number. That is, if you start the game with 12 incorrect numbers in the scorebook, you start the game with the other team shooting 24 free throws.

Has this rule been changed? Can you tell me what section of the rule book applies?
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 04:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by StarStar
At a high school game this season one of the teams brought its wrong set of jerseys (light instead of dark), so the home team played in its dark jerseys instead.

The visiting coach wrote all the players' names in the scorebooks with their uniform numbers. EVERY ONE of these numbers was wrong- they had the style of uniforms with odd numbers for dark jerseys, even number for light.

The officials on the scene assessed ONE technical foul for this scorebook violation, on the head coach.

My recollection from my high school days - because I saw it happen once then, too - is when this happens, a technical foul is supposed to be assessed for EACH PLAYER IN THE SCOREBOOK wearing an incorrect number. That is, if you start the game with 12 incorrect numbers in the scorebook, you start the game with the other team shooting 24 free throws.

Has this rule been changed? Can you tell me what section of the rule book applies?
One T, 2 shots. He may now add players at will.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

You'll find this in Rule 10-1-2 under Team Technicals. It also specifies in the Penalties section that the penalty (two shots and the ball at the division line for opponent) is only assessed once regardless of the number of infractions.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

the reasoning behind assesing one T is that it is for changing the book, not the individual numbers being wrong per se. Since he changed the book and paid the price he can change it as much as needed to make it right....It should not have been assesed to the head coach however...it is just an administrative T...
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

don't know if it has always been this way, but now it's...

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
the reasoning behind assesing one T is that it is for changing the book, not the individual numbers being wrong per se. Since he changed the book and paid the price he can change it as much as needed to make it right....It should not have been assesed to the head coach however...it is just an administrative T...
Right ONE T, charged to the team, not to the head coach in any way, and he does not lose the coaching box.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 05:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
What if the coach decided to or rather wasn't thinking and only changed his 5 starters numbers. 5 minutes in, he sends in 5 subs (all of course in wrong numbers), now would we have 5 T's or still just 1 T.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BoomerSooner
What if the coach decided to or rather wasn't thinking and only changed his 5 starters numbers. 5 minutes in, he sends in 5 subs (all of course in wrong numbers), now would we have 5 T's or still just 1 T.
Rule 10
SECTION 1 TEAM TECHNICAL
A team shall not:
ART. 2 . . . After the time limit specified in Article 1:
c. Require the scorer to change a squad member's or player's number in the scorebook.

Under the penalties it notes:
(Art. 2) One foul only per team regardless of the number of infractions.

So it doesn't matter when it happens or how many times, it is one penalty.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 09:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Boomersooner, after the first T (for this), he may then change the book at will.