The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Final Four Officials (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12946-final-four-officials.html)

mick Fri Apr 02, 2004 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BK
Sitton would be a great choice!
BK,
You fishin' or umpin'?
Where you been?
How 'bout dem Boys!!!!
mick

Nevadaref Sat Apr 03, 2004 06:41pm

GT/OSU
Tim Higgins, Jim Burr, and Donnie Gray
Duke/UConn
David Hall, Ted Hillary, Orlandis Poole

[Edited by Nevadaref on Apr 3rd, 2004 at 10:48 PM]

Mark Dexter Sat Apr 03, 2004 06:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Nevadaref
GT/OSU
Tim Higgins, Jim Burr, and ?
Duke/UConn
TBA

Third for GT/OSU is Donnee Gray.

Nevadaref Sat Apr 03, 2004 09:12pm

Thanks Mark.

Nevadaref Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:47pm

not necessary to work the elite 8

Out of the six officials that worked the two games tonight in the Final Four, 4 worked Elite 8 games and the other 2 last worked in the Sweet 16.
Ted Hillary and Tim Higgins are the two who went from the Sweet 16 to the Final Four.

Nevadaref Sun Apr 04, 2004 04:33am

Anyone know who is the alternate official on the Final Four? He was probably sitting at or near the table, but I just don't seem to recognize the faces not on the court very well.

Woodee Sun Apr 04, 2004 09:01am

Who???

Who was the official in the Duke/UConn game that looked like a throw back to the 70s NBA? He would bend down and really be demonstrative. He also called out of his area a lot. A couple of times as the C he was so high, the Trail had to look at the L to make sure he was not out of position. He had the crew confused a couple of times.

Who is he?

Jay R Sun Apr 04, 2004 09:22am

David Hall

Woodee Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:21pm

Whats the Scoop?

Quote:

Originally posted by Jay R
David Hall
Whats your eval of him?

mightyvol Sun Apr 04, 2004 03:52pm

listening to sporting news radio and david hall is getting blasted by the media. the guy goes on record to say he is horrendous and very uncapable. i get a kick out of these guys that think they are the greatest officials in the world who have never worked a game. i will say this though, it wasnt one of hall's better games. we have all been there.

mighty

cmathews Sun Apr 04, 2004 04:20pm

Re: Whats the Scoop?

Quote:

Originally posted by Woodee
Quote:

David Hall
Whats your eval of him?

my eval is that he was working the final 4.....

Jay R Sun Apr 04, 2004 05:38pm

Re: Whats the Scoop?

Quote:

Originally posted by Woodee
Quote:

David Hall
Whats your eval of him?

Personally, I thought this crew (especially Hall) called it too close. Lots of fouls away from the ball that didn't seem to have a major affect on the play.

There were times during the game when I thought that would start to let them play a bit more, but it seemed like there was never any flow.

Having said that, take my opinion for what it's worth. I have one year of college experience. For me to criticize these officials is like Britney Spears criticizing Mozart.

Jay

Jurassic Referee Sun Apr 04, 2004 06:05pm

PREDICTION!!

My prediction is that we will again be getting more posts within the next coupla hours telling us how bad the officials were tonight.All of these posts will say:
1) Even though I'm a just a disinterested viewer......
or
2) I am also an official <b>but</b>......

Wait and see.

canuckrefguy Sun Apr 04, 2004 06:30pm

:rolleyes:
This kind of stuff really makes me wonder.

The "cardinal rule" included on every NCAA officiating bulletin is "style of play will not dictate officiating". I assume this also extends to a conference's alleged style of play. The Duke-UConn game had A LOT, repeat, A LOT of physical play. Given the teams' recent history and tournament rivalry, the game was a train that could have easily jumped the tracks.

I saw very few, pretty close to NO foul calls that were not legitimate fouls. The only one I wondered about was Duke's 2nd last possession, where the guy drove, got stripped, and fell to the floor. They replayed it, but the camera was blocking out the area of contact. So I guess we'll just have to trust the lead official and his measly 20-30 years of NCAA experience, and God knows how many tournament and final four games.

For crying out loud, if the officials pass on calls, we're blind, dumb, and incompetent. Then a crew comes out, officiates a game CONSISTENTLY, and we hear the typical coach/fan dumb comment "HEY REF, LET 'EM PLAY".

This is why we officials are so quick to shake our heads some of the time - it's because you people can't make up your (Dexter)ing minds!

Jurassic Referee Sun Apr 04, 2004 07:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by canuckrefguy

Then a crew comes out, officiates a game CONSISTENTLY, and we hear the typical coach/fan dumb comment "HEY REF, LET 'EM PLAY".

Exactly!! The game was officiated fairly, equitably and consistently. Officiating WAS NOT a factor, no matter what Coach Whineya$$ says..