The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Alabama-Syracuse

T for you baby! Anything else you wanna say?

Good foul call, good T.
Old Thu Mar 25, 2004, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Missed the T! Damn!

BUT, I do beleive I see LARRY ROSE on the game.

I guess Fred Barakat can kiss Larry's !!!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

This calls for a....

Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 06:06am
Official Forum Member

regional coverage sucks

For those of us who had St Joe's-Wake, kindly explain the T sitch!
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Re: regional coverage sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Thank you. You took the words right outta my mouth! I need satelite!!! O well, after tonight's regional coverage (KU-UAB), we will be able to watch EVERY(4) game the rest of the weekend!
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to N_Stripes
Smile Re: regional coverage sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
'Cuse and Bama player jockeying for position in post. Hold on Bama player (possibly missed push on 'Cuse, but that's my opinion.)
Bama coach stomps towards table to voice displeasure to calling official. As he is heading back to bench area facing away from the officials now, he does a more pronounced Gorrilla style stomp with body and head movement while saying "No way! No way!"

Ref T's the temper tantrum.

But the SEC still has a shot. Plus with UAB (University of Alabama's Medical School in Birmingham), Sweet Home Alabama is well represented. Good Luck Blazer's!
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 11:21am
Esteemed Participant

Please tell me it was Rose that T'd the coach...please???!!!
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Why does a "T" make you guys so thrilled?

Do you get to put notches on someting for calling a "T"?

Do you go around looking for the chance?

I do know some soccer refs who brag about the number of yellow cards and red cards they issue - and keep very careful count of them. Do basketball refs do that too?
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 05:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Why does a

Quote:
Originally posted by Judge Roy
Honestly, some do. But whether they do or not is not an issue. Because coaches are given so much rope most of the time, we choose not to give Ts when we have every right to. The Coaching box is a perfect example. If officials enforced this to the letter, a coach would not make the first 5 minutes of any game. If you want so much called to the letter, why not get on us about that?

Quote:
Honestly, some guys do. Just like coaches go after certain officials or accuse them of having something against their team. But it is very clear that most officials do not. Because there are very few games where there is even a T at all. But I have never done a game where a coach or player did not question my judgment, which by the way under the rules they are no suppose to do. But we allow them to vent under some reasonable level, just as long as they do not show us up. Or step out the coaching box, which I have yet to see a coach do at any point of any game I have worked to the letter. From your logic, I should have many more ejections. But I have not thrown out a coach in probably 8 years (this will be my 9th this year coming up).

Quote:
I do know some soccer refs who brag about the number of yellow cards and red cards they issue - and keep very careful count of them. Do basketball refs do that too?

Of course there is some pleasure in give a T. Especially when it gets the result we wanted. To quite that coach for the rest of the game. To remove a problem player, if we can. I am not an official that likes to give out Ts like candy, but I do get personal satisfaction from giving a T when it was well warranted. And I probably kick myself when I pass on times I should have given them. And yes in an effort to teach other officials and to tell war stories, about experiences that I have had an other officials have had so they know what is acceptable by fellow officials. But I have never given a T for a coach that said nothing or did not gesture something in my career. So it is amazing how much we tolerate before we pull the trigger.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 05:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool Re: Why does a

Quote:
You bet we do. I put them on the cattle prod that I use for herding substitutes onto the court.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 05:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Roy,
It's the same satisfaction we get from calling a travel on a poorly executed jump stop after we are sure we missed one earlier. Or the same "thrill" we get for calling a moving screen after missing one. When a coach is going off like that, there is a certain satisfaction in seeing justice served.
Interestingly, I don't remember the talking heads getting so upset when Larry Eustachy had his break down in the Elite 8 game against Michigan State 4 years ago. Radio and newspapers around here were pretty solidly in agreement that Eustachy cost his team any remote chance at a comeback (like Barnes did.)
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yeah.

I have a spot on my bed where I mark off all of the T's I call. Tons of scratches, I hope polish can get it out . . . .
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Quote:

Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 09:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
[/B]
I have a spot on my bed where I mark off all of the T's I call. Tons of scratches, I hope polish can get it out .
[/B][/QUOTE]I heard that you hadda lot of spots on your bed. Nothing to do with T's either.

College kids!
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Roy,
It's the same satisfaction we get from calling a travel on a poorly executed jump stop after we are sure we missed one earlier. Or the same "thrill" we get for calling a moving screen after missing one. When a coach is going off like that, there is a certain satisfaction in seeing justice served.
Interestingly, I don't remember the talking heads getting so upset when Larry Eustachy had his break down in the Elite 8 game against Michigan State 4 years ago. Radio and newspapers around here were pretty solidly in agreement that Eustachy cost his team any remote chance at a comeback (like Barnes did.)
BTW, he is now the coach at my alma mater - University of Southern Miss. O lucky us!