The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wadep1965 Send a message via Yahoo to wadep1965
Hello folks,

PLAY: (Federation) Team A & B are tied at the end of regulation play. At the beginning of the first overtime period, R steps into the center circle, tosses the ball, and Team A controls the tap. Team A dribbles across the division line, and U blows his whistle. Team B's coach shouts out, "He's in the backcourt. That's a violation." The U informs the coach that he would talk to his partner about the mistake, but that a backcourt violation would not be an option.

In case I've lost you already, here's the "nuts and bolts" of the play situation. At the beginning of the 1st overtime, the officials inadvertently pointed the jumpers in the WRONG direction. After Team A controlled the tap and proceeded across the division line, the umpire noticed the mistake.

Is this a backcourt violation?

What is the proper thing to do in this situation?

Here's what the crew on the court did. Since the rule and case book do not specifically cover this instance, one of the officials (a veteran of collegiate and ABA ball) implemented some common sense and employed a rule from NCAA and NBA codes. He informed coaches that the clock would be reset, the jumpers turned in the correct direction, and the overtime restarted. Was a rule circumvented, in the interest of fairness?

Of course, the coaches were not happy! What is the proper thing to do? I would appreciate it if you could cite references for any rules you may give me. If this has happened to you, or your association, or if you know the proper ruling, please let me know where it's written. We could use this as a wonderful teaching tool with our younger officials.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wadep1965
Hello folks,

PLAY: (Federation) Team A & B are tied at the end of regulation play. At the beginning of the first overtime period, R steps into the center circle, tosses the ball, and Team A controls the tap. Team A dribbles across the division line, and U blows his whistle. Team B's coach shouts out, "He's in the backcourt. That's a violation." The U informs the coach that he would talk to his partner about the mistake, but that a backcourt violation would not be an option.

In case I've lost you already, here's the "nuts and bolts" of the play situation. At the beginning of the 1st overtime, the officials inadvertently pointed the jumpers in the WRONG direction. After Team A controlled the tap and proceeded across the division line, the umpire noticed the mistake.

Is this a backcourt violation?

What is the proper thing to do in this situation?

Here's what the crew on the court did. Since the rule and case book do not specifically cover this instance, one of the officials (a veteran of collegiate and ABA ball) implemented some common sense and employed a rule from NCAA and NBA codes. He informed coaches that the clock would be reset, the jumpers turned in the correct direction, and the overtime restarted. Was a rule circumvented, in the interest of fairness?

Of course, the coaches were not happy! What is the proper thing to do? I would appreciate it if you could cite references for any rules you may give me. If this has happened to you, or your association, or if you know the proper ruling, please let me know where it's written. We could use this as a wonderful teaching tool with our younger officials.
If the officials allowed the teams to line up "incorrectly" then the "incorrect" baskets / courts are considered "correct" until the official can get the teams turned around. The officials should have turned the teams around and given A the ball for a throw-in.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

There is no violation here, and the team controlling the ball would get the throw-in, after the correcting the teams.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 12:28pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

I am agreeing with Bob and Brian
mick
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed....

I agree too. This is the same as beginning the game going the wrong direction.

Two weeks ago I was the U and cracked my whistle just as the R stepped into the circle to toss for the overtime. The teams were lined up going the wrong direction. I just hit the whistle and announced the correct directions. Everybody laughed, and one coach commented "Details, details."

My impression is that this is easy to do. After all, jumps are only practiced (and generally done) looking away from the bench.