The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2nd T warranted? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12894-2nd-t-warranted.html)

FHSUref Fri Mar 26, 2004 09:17pm

Was the 2nd T on UAB's coach warranted? In my opinion after looking at the replay, He was trying to get the attention of the official so that he could request a timeout. It didn't seem that loud to where the official couldn't hear him.

I think that the coach said something while calling the timeout! It will be interesting to see if there are any "horrible call" allegations in tomorrows papers.

BTW - He definately deserved the first one. He was guarding Simien better than any of his players were!

Dan_ref Fri Mar 26, 2004 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally posted by FHSUref
Was the 2nd T on UAB's coach warranted? In my opinion after looking at the replay, He was trying to get the attention of the official so that he could request a timeout. It didn't seem that loud to where the official couldn't hear him.

I think that the coach said something while calling the timeout! It will be interesting to see if there are any "horrible call" allegations in tomorrows papers.

BTW - He definately deserved the first one. He was guarding Simien better than any of his players were!

2 T's? Damn. I'm getting the Xavier/Texas game, haven't seen it yet.

Mark Dexter Fri Mar 26, 2004 09:56pm

I saw the T for when the UAB coach was requesting a technical while 4-5 feet out on the court. Definately warranted. Was that his second T, or did he go ape after getting the first one called?

Still no clue what the Barnes technicals were for.

Dan_ref Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:00pm

NCAA Haiku

Tough times for Texas
Two T's - Terrible Teddy
It's time to takeoff

polarbear Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:04pm

Hopefully the T's on Rick Barnes at the end won't take away from the great game Xavier played.

JRutledge Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter
For complaining about a play that he had no business complaining about.

When are coaches just going to learn to just shut up. They do not need to make every issue on every play.

Peace

BktBallRef Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:27pm

Damn, I missed it. But I'm sure they'll show it at halftime.

BktBallRef Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:29pm

Hey RUT!

Illnois - Duke....ACC Champion vs. Big 10 Champion!!!! :)

Mark Dexter Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

For complaining about a play that he had no business complaining about.

When are coaches just going to learn to just shut up. They do not need to make every issue on every play.

Peace

I figured it was his complaining - just wondering if he was shouting, gesturing, swearing, not stopping, a combination of the above?

gostars Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:26pm

From what CBS showed us it looked like Rick Barnes just would not be quiet. He was complaining that the Texas player who took the three with about five seconds left was fouled on the was down (it looked to me that he had a beef although it should never have come down to that). After he was ejected they shot two shots for the foul and foul for the T's. Xavier made the last free-throw and the ball was given to Texas. Shouldn't have been Xavier's ball because of the T's? Not that it would have mattered.

[Edited by gostars on Mar 26th, 2004 at 10:55 PM]

whistleone Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:45pm

Quote:

Originally posted by gostars
From what CBS showed us it looked like Rick Barnes just would not be quite. He was complaining that the Texas player who took the three with about five seconds left was fouled on the was down (it looked to me that he had a beef although it should never have come down to that). After he was ejected they shot two shots for the foul and foul for the T's. Xavier made the last free-throw and the ball was given to Texas. Shouldn't have been Xavier's ball because of the T's? Not that it would have mattered.
NCAA goes with the Point of Interruption. Xavier shot four technical free throws with no one on the lane followed by two free throws with players along the lane for the foul.

I didn't see a foul on the rebound. IMO the Texas player failed to block out and the Xavier player went straight to the ball in the unoccupied space and the two players met in the same spot at the same time.

I did not see either T live and only saw the second on replay. Barnes must have said the magic words to get the second because it didn't look like he was yelling or making any gestures toward Teddy V. I'm betting Teddy won't be moving on to the next round.

gostars Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:50pm

I meant to say on hit way down after releasing the three.

[Edited by gostars on Mar 26th, 2004 at 10:57 PM]

Mark Dexter Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:19am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Hey RUT!

Hey - another 25% of the Elite Eight teams are from the ATLANTIC 10!!!!!

BTW, we got both our regular season AND tournament champions that far. :p

BktBallRef Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:44am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Hey RUT!

Hey - another 25% of the Elite Eight teams are from the ATLANTIC 10!!!!!

As does the ACC!

The Big Little Ten is done. It's OVER!!! ;)

jeffpea Sat Mar 27, 2004 01:34am

Barnes and his staff had been complaining about no-calls the previous 3 trips down the floor. On each play there certainly was contact between a Xavier player and a Texas player, but each time the covering official passed on the call. The T that he got w/ 3.9 secs left was an accumulation of the previous no calls and the last no call on the Xavier rebound (not to mention that his team was about to lose). In my opinion, most people would have a tendency to "lose it" a little bit under those circumstances. I know I would've from my days as a D1 asst. coach.

Teddy V "whacked" him the first time and should've just gotten away from him (use the "old" opposite table mechanic). Although I wasn't there and do not know what was said, you've got to just leave the coach alone when he's about ready to lose w/ 3.9 secs. left. It doesn't do the coach, you (the official), or the game any good to cause that kind of trouble at the end of the game.

As for the UAB vs. Kansas game - JUST GIVE THE COACH THE TIMEOUT and leave it alone.......He's losing by 20 - no need to toss him regardless of how much are pissed at him.