The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 20, 2000, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Early in the 4th quarter, scorekeeper fails to put 1 point up on the scoreboard for Team A, but it is entered correctly in the book. Contest ends in a tie... Overtime begins.... Extra point is recognized 1 minute into the overtime period..... Solution: Add the point to Team A's score and complete the overtime.
The real question is..... After legal play has ended (Horn at the end of the 4th period), up to what time can the extra point be discovered and counted to give Team A the win and not go into the overtime?
Would it be up to the "tip" to start the overtime period??
Thanks!
jc
Old Wed Dec 20, 2000, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

...without looking at the rule book

...which is always dangerous.

I would say, yes, at the tip.

ALWAYS check the book before the game ends when it's a close game. We're all conditioned to ask for time-out & foul info. It doesn't take much more to say, "does the official book match the scoreboard (or the visiting book)"

[Edited by pizanno on Dec 20th, 2000 at 09:43 PM]
Old Wed Dec 20, 2000, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
Early in the 4th quarter, scorekeeper fails to put 1 point up on the scoreboard for Team A, but it is entered correctly in the book. Contest ends in a tie... Overtime begins.... Extra point is recognized 1 minute into the overtime period..... Solution: Add the point to Team A's score and complete the overtime.
The real question is..... After legal play has ended (Horn at the end of the 4th period), up to what time can the extra point be discovered and counted to give Team A the win and not go into the overtime?
Would it be up to the "tip" to start the overtime period??
Thanks!
jc
There's something wrong with your scenario. It doesn't matter whether the point is put on the scoreboard or not. It only matters that the point is counted correctly in the book.

When you say there is a tie, do you mean the score book shows a tie or the scoreboard shows a tie? If the scoreboard shows a tie, which is not what we should be going by, we shouldn't start the overtime. Team A has actually won the game. What we're talking about here is a situation where there wasn't a mistake in the book. The mistake is on the scoreboard and in starting the overtime.

With this in mind, that there wasn't a mistake in the book, would we still complete the overtime?
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

It is the scoreboard that reflects the tie score at the end of the game...... The extra point actually did go unnoticed in the scorebook until one minute had elaspse into the overtime. In my opinion, the game was handled correctly in that the missed point was added to the scoreboard totals and the overtime was played through.
Looking at the real question again..... After legal play has ended (Horn at the end of the 4th period), up to what time can the extra point be discovered and counted to give Team A the win and not go into the overtime?
I'm assuming that the "Tip" actually starts the overtime period and I think that if the missed point is found anytime prior to the time that the ball leaves the referees hand, to start the overtime period, that point would be added to Team A's score on the scoreboard and Team A would be the winner.. At least that's what I think....
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is the scoreboard that reflects the tie score at the end of the game...... The extra point actually did go unnoticed in the scorebook until one minute had elaspse into the overtime. In my opinion, the game was handled correctly in that the missed point was added to the scoreboard totals and the overtime was played through.
Looking at the real question again..... After legal play has ended (Horn at the end of the 4th period), up to what time can the extra point be discovered and counted to give Team A the win and not go into the overtime?
I'm assuming that the "Tip" actually starts the overtime period and I think that if the missed point is found anytime prior to the time that the ball leaves the referees hand, to start the overtime period, that point would be added to Team A's score on the scoreboard and Team A would be the winner.. At least that's what I think....
I agree, but it's not the tip that matters, it's the ball becoming live to start the OT. That happens when the ball leaves the R's hand(s).
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Thumbs up

Bob is correct! We just had this same thread last week.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 11:36am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Again,

I gotta step in here and say what is fair.

Team A won the game, fair and square. I'd lobby to change this case to award the team the victory.

..Mike
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Early in the 4th quarter, scorekeeper fails to put 1 point up on the scoreboard for Team A, but it is entered correctly in the book.
Did you have two brain dead scorekeepers? If the point was correctly entered in the the book, how can they not notice that the final scores don't match?
Old Sat Dec 23, 2000, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Scorekeepers like this give the table a bad name!

Were the two guys/gals on book awake? How can they go nearly 8 minutes without noticing that the board is different from the book?

With that in mind, I have some ranting and raving about overtime:

(1) Recount, recount, recount.
Yes, the book says 60 seconds between end of 4th Q and beginning of OT#1, but I think that until both books completely agree, and we verify it is a tie, you can extend that intermission.

(2)Scoreboard vs. scorebook
In an ideal world, the scorekeeper would control the board. We don't live in an ideal world. In games I have seen, the timer controls the board 100% of the time. I find that in the beginning of the 2nd half, I will often put one or two points up for the wrong team because of the switch in directions. If people (coaches, players, fans) start complaining, I remind them that the book is official, not the board.

That's why you should check the book when the difference at the end of a game is 3 points or less. Towards the end of a close game, the timer (should) has (have) more important matters to be concerned with (i.e., the clock) than the score. (Personally, I don't put up points in the last 10 seconds of a quarter, so that I can be as accurate as possible with the clock.) If we have a made basket than an immediate TO, the timer can get lost rather quickly and forget to put the points up.

Well, that's enough ranting and raving for now. Happy holidays to everyone!
Old Mon Feb 12, 2001, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

The closest thing I've heard to a definitive answer in this thread so far is that if the missing point in the book is discovered before the OT toss leaves the Ref's hands, the game is over.

I suggest this is unfair to the losing team because they might have played the end of the 4th quarter differently if they'd known they were one point behind. Perhaps they'd have attempted a 3-pointer instead of a 2-pointer!

The winning team had every opportunity to question the score on the scoreboard thru the end of the 4th quarter. They didn't. So the game should go into overtime based on the erroneous scoreboard tie at the end of the 4th Q. The missing point would be added whenever it was discovered - either during intermission or during the OT.

Old Mon Feb 12, 2001, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wondering
I suggest this is unfair to the losing team because they might have played the end of the 4th quarter differently if they'd known they were one point behind. Perhaps they'd have attempted a 3-pointer instead of a 2-pointer!
I can only quote my 11th grade English teacher, Mrs. Tillman, who asked, "Who said life was fair?"

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith