The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Played H.S. ball...NAIA J.V. ball at Northwest Nazarene College in Nampa, Idaho. 18 years of Rec ball, whew!

Does anyone know of some D1 players that eventually went pretty far in the college officiating ranks?
Richland, WA
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

RookieDude,

Are you still around Nampa? I'm graduating from there this year, and have coached in the area for since I moved here to go to college.

Brandon
Old Mon Mar 29, 2004, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

Sorry it took so long to respond CoachW.
To answer your question...No, I am not currently in the Boise area, I graduated from NNC in 1979...taught school and coached in Melba, ID for one year...got greedy (made $11,690 my first year teaching) and started working for a Nuclear Power Plant in my hometown...Tri-Cities, WA. Have been officiating basketball since 1989. Only wish I had known what fun and rewarding experiences I would get from officiating at an earlier age. i.e. while I was in College.
I might have tried to make a living at it.
My brother also graduated from NNC and currently lives in Boise. Beautiful area!
Good Luck and congrats on your graduation!
Richland, WA
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

I played at a pretty high level (probably on a par with College in the States) and I think that experience helped me be a better referee. However, I don't believe that you NEED to have played to be a great ref.

Playing taught me about a lot of the sneaky, tricky stuff that players do (and often get away with) especially in post play. So now I can be more aware of some of the things that players try to do.

Look at it this way - the more exposure you have to basketball - the better a referee you will be. Say you have two referees. RefA has refereed for 10 years, but never played or coached. RefB has the same refereeing experiences, but also played (and maybe coached) for 10 years. RefB has more basketball experience, and will probably be a better ref.

On the flip side - I strongly believe that being a referee makes me a worse player! It doesn't affect my skills, but I find that I am more arguementative with "underskilled" referees when they kick a call. As my refereeing ability has increased, I have also become a dirtier player - as I usually know where/what the ref will be looking at

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

I played HS ball at Archbishop Molloy in NYC. Good ball player playing on powerhouse. But spending most of my time on the bench and being coached by a legend (Jack Curran), I learned a tremendous amount about the game. Next off to college - Providence in the late 60's - great team. Sooooo, I played intramurals. However, I roomed for 3 years with a great player (played in NBA for 12 seasons) and learned about the game at an even higher level. My basketball upbringing has definitely helped me to be a better official. I just feel at ease on the court.

__________________________________________________ ______
"Look at life through the windshield, not the rearview mirror."--Byrd Baggett