The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 10:50am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
BITS & Mark, you guys are doing it right IMO. Most ncaa evaluators want to see the L move in towards the paint, not stay wide when the ball comes in. And there are times when the L gets absolutely the best view by taking a step into the "quicksand". [/B]
Dan, are you in a position to know what most NCAA evaluators want? I know for a fact that most evaluators and assigners on the West Coast do not say do this. Getting angles and being mechanically sound is preached over and over again out west. Then, if something happens you adjust.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

I don't think there's one set answer. You see some stuff from out wide, you see some stuff from in close. It really depends on what kind of defense is being played and each individual drive to the basket.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If they're playing a zone, it's like an implosion! The post defender on my side will step right into my angle. The guard on my side turns inward towards the driver, often times trying to strip the ball, and I lose sight of his hands. That leaves the ball-handler driving into the middle of a rapidly moving pack defenders and me on the outside looking at backs and butts, certainly not hands and arms.
[/B]
Thats way we have a C.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
BITS & Mark, you guys are doing it right IMO. Most ncaa evaluators want to see the L move in towards the paint, not stay wide when the ball comes in. And there are times when the L gets absolutely the best view by taking a step into the "quicksand".
Dan, are you in a position to know what most NCAA evaluators want?
[/B]
MOST across the US? Nope.

SOME? Yes.

MOST in my area? Yes.

I have no idea what goes on in the west coast.

Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
BITS & Mark, you guys are doing it right IMO. Most ncaa evaluators want to see the L move in towards the paint, not stay wide when the ball comes in. And there are times when the L gets absolutely the best view by taking a step into the "quicksand".

SOME? Yes.

MOST in my area? Yes.

[/B]
This is the 1st I've heard to close down when the shot goes up. HS camps aways said back out. In Women's its spelled out, so no confusion there. But, I didn't know the Men's side would want you to close down.

Would the play dictate what to do? I can't see how. I can understand moving in to see the play until the shot goes up, but once the shot is in the air, its about getting 3 different angles. I guess the old saying, "when in Rome" applies to you area.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

SOME? Yes.

MOST in my area? Yes.

This is the 1st I've heard to close down when the shot goes up. HS camps aways said back out. In Women's its spelled out, so no confusion there. But, I didn't know the Men's side would want you to close down.

Would the play dictate what to do? I can't see how. I can understand moving in to see the play until the shot goes up, but once the shot is in the air, its about getting 3 different angles. I guess the old saying, "when in Rome" applies to you area.
[/B]
I just went back & read your comments and I see you are saying stay or go wide on *shots*. I was referring to plays when the ball comes in to the paint, not on the shot. In general the assignors/evaluators I deal with (ncaam mechanics) want the L to not stay too wide when in position A (shot or not), they for sure want the L to move to B as the ball moves to the paint, and most don't mind if you take a step more to observe contact in the paint when the ball is there. I think BITS & Mark were commenting on this scenario, not on what they do when the shot goes up.

Which is why IMO they are doing it right.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

OK, never mind
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 01:06pm
Huck Finn

OK never mind too.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

I've been eading these threads with great interest, especially as I started it off!

I'm an English FIBA ref working in Europe. Next season all main FIBA competitions will have 3PO. A lot of the pro-leagues in each country - Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Belgium already have this in their domestic competition, and the Euroleague (Non-FIBA proleague which will be screened by NBA TV shortly in the US) has had it for 4 years now.

When the EL started it was basically using NCAA mechanics, and emphasis was on the L getting to the paint on drives to the basket. Allowing for some regional differences in the style of play - Mainly players 20 - 35 years of age, high speed, very physical games (more akin to NBA), I could understand this, but I felt that if the C was more active on the opposite side, then the L would not need to move AS MUCH.

OK Never say never and never say always.........there may be times to get the right angle and therefore the right call, which is what we all want.

But.......looking at NBA games, and we now have a lot of europeans coming to the NBA from these leagues, the L hardly ever goes to the paint.

If we assume that there is a little difficulty in communication and culture, i.e. a crew could be a Serbian, a Spaniard and an Italian, none of whom will have english as there first language, plus the regional/cultural heirachy which may exist, which is the safest framework/simplest framework to adopt in your view.

I know there may not be a right/wrong answer, but am interested in peoples points of view...............?
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 06:39am
Huck Finn

Regardless of how anyone feels about the calls they make or don't make, the NBA system is the best as far as coverage and angles. You said yourself that the NBA officials do not go to the paint.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Okay - Agreed,

But is it the simplest, does it require more experience? Both of the meachanics and the level of the game?

Okay we should strive for the best, but the system they have now is not what they started with, so what's the best starting point?
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 06:55am
Huck Finn

The best starting point is going to be a current system. To go back wouldn't be wise because there were mechanics in old systems that did not work for the game.