The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

State boys HS playoff game. Team A scores on a fast break. After ball is through the basket while team B is still coming down the court a player from team A grabs ball and throws it to the ref who is standing on the endline. The ref blew his whistle and called a delay of game warning. What do you think?
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Neck Ref
State boys HS playoff game. Team A scores on a fast break. After ball is through the basket while team B is still coming down the court a player from team A grabs ball and throws it to the ref who is standing on the endline. The ref blew his whistle and called a delay of game warning. What do you think?
I think this is being over officious.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

I have always been told (and it may not be right) but there is the letter of the rule and spirit of the rule. I do my best to use preventative officiating. This may have been one of those times where i went by the spirit of the rule....no delay!

Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Ridiculous

If it happened exactly as you described. If anything, it may have speeded things up if B wasn't there to get the ball, because the ball could go anywhere. so rather than delaying the game, A may have made it better. And stopping play to give the warning was the only delay.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

I know some coaches instruct their players to touch the ball to delay the inbounds and allow them to set up the press. This is a delay. Using spirit of the game, I mention this to coach on the next time-out that this will not be tolerated and alert my partner. I do not consider this the first warning as the scorers are not aware. If it happens again, then I proceed with the first official warning and go from there.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by rafking
I know some coaches instruct their players to touch the ball to delay the inbounds and allow them to set up the press. This is a delay. Using spirit of the game, I mention this to coach on the next time-out that this will not be tolerated and alert my partner. I do not consider this the first warning as the scorers are not aware. If it happens again, then I proceed with the first official warning and go from there.
Doesn't sound like this was the case in this sitch. It sounds a little overdone to me, but perhaps there was some background that we don't know about.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 03:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

The mere fact that A1 touched the ball does not earn a warning. A1 would have to prevent team B from promptly having the ball at their disposal for the subsequent inbound pass. If that, in the official's opinion, is what happened (inadvertant or not), then give the warning. I have had this happen where the player says "But I was just giving the ball to the ref". Players must learn the official does not handle the ball following a made basket.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
It would depend on a couple of things for me to make the call. First of all the position of B has alot to do with it. If they are at half court still running down I'll probably be more lenient as far as applying my next two considerations, which are: where was the ball at when B picked it up and where was it going. If the ball rolled over to the bleachers and was picked up and tossed to me, then no call. Also if A1 had accidently kicked it and it was out towards the 3pt line and still going, I would (and B as well) appreciate him tossing to me or at least toward team B or the endline. Now if the ball is simple bouncing or even barely rolling directly under the basket or next to the endline, A1 needs to leave the ball as is especially if B is anywhere close to the ball. Another important consideration is whether or not A is pressing. I'm not going to be the ref Nazi or anything, but if this is going on consistently with a press in place and is what is allowing A to set it up, that's what warnings are for.