The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Angry

I have officiated the Kansas Special Olympic basketball tournament for the past three years. I see it as an opportunity to give back to some less fortunate individuals. After officiating in the past, I always feel good. It is a place where you are truly appreciated (until this last weekend). Officiating the tourney is strictly volunteer unlike one weekend ago when I was recommended by the coaches to work the class 1A state tournament.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I am officiating a level II (Level I is the highest meaning that they function well) where they travel a little and get 8 seconds in the lane and double dribble etc.... It is tough because where do you draw the line? In HS you base fouls on advantage/disadvantage. Well, a coach, whose game I just officiated, starts to yell at me after one of the players who had a hard time dribbling to begin with dribbled out of bounds. He told me that I am terrible and I need to call more fouls and get in the game. I was taken by surprise and proceeded to tell him that this was volunteer only and that nobody was getting a paycheck. He told me, "I am a volunteer too." To which my reply was, "Then you should know to keep your mouth shut."

I normally wouldn't have said anything at all to a coach at special olympics but he crossed over the line when he was telling his players how bad I was and on top of that, they booed us a few trips later down the court. I still can't believe that he would act like this and let his players do the same.

I know I am angry now but I will have a hard time giving up a friday and saturday next year to officiate special olympics.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't say retarted. I would say, mentally handicap. You might offend some people with talk like that!
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
I have officiated the Kansas Special Olympic basketball tournament for the past three years. I see it as an opportunity to give back to some less fortunate individuals. After officiating in the past, I always feel good. It is a place where you are truly appreciated (until this last weekend). Officiating the tourney is strictly volunteer unlike one weekend ago when I was recommended by the coaches to work the class 1A state tournament.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I am officiating a level II (Level I is the highest meaning that they function well) where they travel a little and get 8 seconds in the lane and double dribble etc.... It is tough because where do you draw the line? In HS you base fouls on advantage/disadvantage. Well, a coach, whose game I just officiated, starts to yell at me after one of the players who had a hard time dribbling to begin with dribbled out of bounds. He told me that I am terrible and I need to call more fouls and get in the game. I was taken by surprise and proceeded to tell him that this was volunteer only and that nobody was getting a paycheck. He told me, "I am a volunteer too." To which my reply was, "Then you should know to keep your mouth shut."

I normally wouldn't have said anything at all to a coach at special olympics but he crossed over the line when he was telling his players how bad I was and on top of that, they booed us a few trips later down the court. I still can't believe that he would act like this and let his players do the same.

I know I am angry now but I will have a hard time giving up a friday and saturday next year to officiate special olympics.
He's not doing his players any favors by teaching them to show you disrespect. He should be reported to the powers that be and removed from his position. Special Olympics needs you a lot more than they need him.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
[BHe's not doing his players any favors by teaching them to show you disrespect. He should be reported to the powers that be and removed from his position. Special Olympics needs you a lot more than they need him. [/B]
These were my thoughts exactly. The guys were oloder guys mid to late 20s but they acted like 10 year olds (not complaining about that) but for the coach to pretty much egg(?) them on was beyond me. After the game, they (not knowing any better, at least I hope they didn't know any better) were asking me if they could have my shirt so they could ref. I was pleasant to them but I made sure the coach got the 'poof your dead' look more than once.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 03:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
Arguing on the internet is like playing in the special olympics. Whether you win or lose, you're still retarded.
Good argument.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He told me that I am terrible and I need to call more fouls and get in the game. I was taken by surprise and proceeded to tell him that this was volunteer only and that nobody was getting a paycheck.
I am not trying to rip you here, but what does you volunteering to work the game have to do with the comments the coach made to you? By saying what you said, you have implied that you aren't going to work that hard today since you weren't getting paid. My two cents: The coach either earned his first T of the game or the stop sign and "I've heard enough", depending on any previous comments. It doesn't matter whether this was Special Olympics or not.

Quote:

Please don't let one bad experience stop you from using your talent to benefit those in need. Those mentally-challenged athletes need you and you're a better person for giving your time to them.

To contrast your experience, I worked our Special Olympics State Tournament last weekend and the first words out of the site manager's mouth to the coaches were: "We aren't going to tolerate any bad-mouthing to any officials by coaches or players today, is that understood?" That set the tone and I never heard a peep for the two games that I worked.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Barry,

I understand where you are coming from. Let me assure you that I gave 100% while out there. Check or no check. I understand that it is for the kids. I was the only official in full dress which means nothing at all but I hope that is showed a little professionalism.

This coach wasn't coaching, he was sitting with his team in the bleachers. I had just finished working his game (which he won by 40+ points).

Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 04:28am
Official Forum Member

Having refereed special olympics years back, everything was fun til the coaches complained about calls or no calls being made. Then it was fun no more. They should muzzle coaches during the game.