The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 02:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Unhappy

After 25 seasons (10 in Illinois and 15 in Oregon) I'm hanging up the whistle. I figure I worked at least 3500 games - probably closer to 4000. My top year I worked 379. Finished my last 3 rec games last night and I went out in a blaze of glory by running a coach. He had the audacity to continue to argue after the stop sign and the first T. Imagine that!

Anyway, I have been asked by a few of you to list my most memorable moments of those seasons. I don't know if mine are any more memorable than yours, but here they are:

1) officiating with my son - this is as good as it gets
2) watching kids in rec progress from 3rd grade to HS
3) helping to grow our rec league to almost 2000 kids
4) working tournaments including HS teams from Canada and Mexico
5) teasing volunteer scorekeepers
6) having the "Mr. T" award named after me by my association after winning it three years straight
7) working with Juulie
8) training young kids to become officials
9) moving our rec league from being "in the red" to being "in the black" during my tenure as Board president
10) meeting all the other great refs over all those years

So now, I'm gonna just sit back and relax. I have two more Board meetings for our rec league and then it's retirement from that also (after 13 years).

I did tell Juulie, however, that I would be available to do evals at her camp this spring - as long as I don't have to put on the stripes.

I wish you all the best. Don't let the howler monkeys get you down.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

A great career by a great man and referee.

I can only hope that my officiating will advance as far and last as long as Padgett's.

Congrats, enjoy retirement, and if you ever start experiencing withdrawal, just go visit the local zoo.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Congrats

Good luck with the retirement. I hope you enjoy whatever you have planned. Looks to me like you have earned it! There are quite a few officials around here (Kansas) that hung the stripes up this year. Sad to see them go but glad that they did so much for the youth out here.

FYI - There is a Ref from Grinnell, KS by the name of Sonny Weinhardt. Great guy. Anyway, next year will be his 51st of officiating for the KSHSAA. AMAZING! Anyone know of any other officials that have been in it that long? Heck, I have only done it 4 and feel like that is long enough!
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Good job Mark.

I hope your retirement doesn't include retirement from this board. We can always use your perspective and humor.

Z
Old Fri Mar 19, 2004, 04:09pm
In Memoriam

Thanks Padgett !

Mark,
You were the first member of this forum I dared e-mail.
I asked about the NFHS test because I had never heard of it before.
Your reply was kind, timely and welcome.

Just like the official that babied me through my very first game, you will remain special to me.

Thanks.

Be well.
mick
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 01:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool Re: Thanks Padgett !

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Mark,
You were the first member of this forum I dared e-mail.
I asked about the NFHS test because I had never heard of it before.
Your reply was kind, timely and welcome.

Just like the official that babied me through my very first game, you will remain special to me.

Thanks.

Be well.
mick
AWWWW! Group hug!!
Old Sat Mar 20, 2004, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Opportunitiy denied

I am only disappointed that I never got to have a game reffed by the famous (and, among coaches, infamous ) Mr. T! As a result, you never got a chance to run me. You ever come to the east coast Washington, think about doing a scrimmage or anything just so I can see you in action.

Seriously, Mark, it is great to have officials like you who care about the game. You are willing to hang in the rec leagues with all the coach love that brings. You make it a point to know the rules, as well as how to balance the rules with the level of play on the floor. You remeber that youth basketball is youth first, basketball second - doesn't mean that you ignore basketball, but it does allow a bit of creative thinking.

I have watched how you interact with Juulie and know that you are a mentor to those who are smart enough to ask for help from an experienced hand. I hung up my service stripes this year, but continue to work with those who I have mentored through the years in the Navy. I hope that you will do the same for the refs that continue to lace 'em up. And of course, you gotta keep posting on the board.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 07:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I was talking to my son last night (he used to ref) and he asked me how many technicals I've given over the years. I thought it was an interesting question, so I sat down and figured out how many calls of various types I have made in 25 years of officiating. I tried to use an average per game. I figured I gave out technicals at a rate of about one every three games (including second warnings for delay, etc). Here's what I came up with:

technicals / 1167
travel calls / 10,500
personal fouls / 35,000
number of kids told to remove jewelry / 1167

Also - I calculated that I let kids be illegally in the lane, before calling the violation, for a total of almost 17 hours.

Amazing, isn't it.

Oh yeah - I figure I ejected about 20 coaches, 50 players and countless spectators.

I was going to calculate how many times I actuall blew my whistle during games, but my calculator won't go that high.
Old Tue Mar 23, 2004, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Mark...

Impressive credentials. You've left your mark. Hopefully, you'll continue to leave it here as well.

So, when are you taking that job as regional interpreter for FIBA in France?
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 10:38am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Mark...

Impressive credentials. You've left your mark. Hopefully, you'll continue to leave it here as well.

So, when are you taking that job as regional interpreter for FIBA in France?
When pigs fly and Bobby Knight wins the NCAA sportsmanship award. And - how many times do I have to tell you guys - it's "FEEBLE"!

As I've stated before, I've signed a contract to officiate in the Women's World Mudwrestling Federation. They want me to help introduce their new "creamed corn division". The best part (other than they tape in Vegas) is that the officials get to wear black and white striped Speedos!
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 11:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
[/B]
The best part (other than they tape in Vegas) is that the officials get to wear black and white striped Speedos!
[/B][/QUOTE]The vision of Mark in his black-and-white thong just flashed through my mind. Thankfully, I passed out at that point.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
The best part (other than they tape in Vegas) is that the officials get to wear black and white striped Speedos!
[/B]
The vision of Mark in his black-and-white thong just flashed through my mind. Thankfully... [/B][/QUOTE]

...it was a very short trip.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 12:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
The vision of Mark in his black-and-white thong just flashed through my mind.

[/B]

[/B][/QUOTE]Careful. I know where you live!
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

As I've stated before, I've signed a contract to officiate in the Women's World Mudwrestling Federation. They want me to help introduce their new "creamed corn division".
But Mark, it will take two to three days to get the industrial sized cans!
Old Wed Mar 24, 2004, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
The vision of Mark in his black-and-white thong just flashed through my mind.

[/B]
Careful. I know where you live! [/B][/QUOTE]

That was you??!

Geeze...kinda sorry I called the cops on ya now...