Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Question Philosophical state of mind?

When you first arrive at the game, and you meet your partner for that particular game (whether you know him or not.) How do you determine who will be the referee? Do you use the "whoever is there first, chooses" philosophy or maybe the "which one of us feels like it tonight" philosophy? I'm interested in knowing how other officials determine who will be the R for a game.

Plus, comment on a pet peeve of mine:

I hate it when I'm deciding with a partner on this and he says, "Well, it doesn't really matter. Once the ball goes up, it's all the same."

Personally, I do NOT think it's the same! If I'm the R, I feel like I'm the top leader out there. I need to take charge. I'm supposed to be "final say" on anything that is in dispute--whether I need to rule about something in the rule books or whether I need to rule about something NOT in the rule books--a LEADING frame of mind.

When I'm the U (or U1, U2), even though I'm still a leader out there, I also feel as though I'm in a SUPPORT role to the R. I become more of a "behind the scenes" guy who totally supports the R and helps the R "cover all his bases."

Comments? I should add that I realize that in some places, the R & the U positions are already predetermined.

[Edited by Indy_Ref on Dec 19th, 2000 at 11:52 AM]