The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Announcer Babble (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12770-announcer-babble.html)

Nevadaref Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:17am

St. Joe's beats Wake, 84-80. Billy Packer eats his pizza.

just another ref Fri Mar 26, 2004 01:00am

dividing by 3

Some day I expect to see Team A miss a free throw that would have put them up by 34 and hear Billy Packer announce
"That's a big one, because now it's still an 11 possession game."

iamaref Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:57am

Geesh.. you guys are tough on Packer. Of course he's a little annoying.. but, he's not the worst announcer in the world. I think they keep him.. cuz he is a familiar voice.. and he doesn't really get in the way of watching the game. Think what it would be like listening to some "other" voice.. with the same mistakes packer makes. I think letters to CBS would follow. Heck for that matter, I'd "guess" alot of the tournament officials are selected for the same reason... they have been there, they know the calls that need to be made, and they are not gonna mess up the game on national tv. Anyhow, players make mistakes, officials make mistakes, coaches make mistakes, so do announcers.. and his are compounded.. cuz he's an easy target. I'd venture to say.. he's tryin real hard and likely knowingly does some things for ratings (ie St Joe's coach thing). Controversial statements on plays.. it's all about ratings.. and apparently he gets the job done in that area.

zebraman Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by iamaref
Geesh.. you guys are tough on Packer. Of course he's a little annoying.. but, he's not the worst announcer in the world. I think they keep him.. cuz he is a familiar voice.. and he doesn't really get in the way of watching the game. Think what it would be like listening to some "other" voice.. with the same mistakes packer makes. I think letters to CBS would follow. Heck for that matter, I'd "guess" alot of the tournament officials are selected for the same reason... they have been there, they know the calls that need to be made, and they are not gonna mess up the game on national tv. Anyhow, players make mistakes, officials make mistakes, coaches make mistakes, so do announcers.. and his are compounded.. cuz he's an easy target. I'd venture to say.. he's tryin real hard and likely knowingly does some things for ratings (ie St Joe's coach thing). Controversial statements on plays.. it's all about ratings.. and apparently he gets the job done in that area.

Is it asking too much for him to read a rule book for once in his life?... I mean, he played NCAA basketball for goodness sakes.

We all make mistakes, but we also do whatever we can to be prepared for our games. His lack of rule knowledge shows me that he isn't willing to put in the time to be properly prepared.

Z

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:17pm

Quote:

Geesh.. you guys are tough on Packer. Of course he's a little annoying.. but, he's not the worst announcer in the world.
Really? Then who is?

iamaref Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:48pm

Too be honest.. i'm not a big fan of the female that does the Men's stuff. Don't know her name.. but, just tough to listen to her.. doing a men's game. It's not a female thing.. just don't enjoy listening.
Tough to think of someone worse than packer.. but, im sure there is someone spouting BS out there.. worse than he.
I'd have to say Bilas is the best... just for the record. Nance doing golf is very very good.. basketball not his calling.. but, he's ok.

SMEngmann Fri Mar 26, 2004 08:26pm

Nevadaref, you're right, I misunderstood what you were saying as I thought I had.

wonderlic Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:21pm

I think the one announcer that has gotten on my nerves the most is Bill Raftery with his man to man defense. I am waiting for him to leave for a bit to change his pants.

Mark Dexter Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:35pm

Re: dividing by 3

Quote:

Originally posted by just another ref
Some day I expect to see Team A miss a free throw that would have put them up by 34 and hear Billy Packer announce
"That's a big one, because now it's still an 11 possession game."

Good thing he's not doing Illinois-Duke, with Illinois up 13-11, it would have been a 0.667 posession game! :eek:

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:02pm

IMHO - the best commentator ever was Rick Barry. He used to work NBA games on TBS. Unfortunately, he was way to sophisticated for the average fan so he didn't last too long.

He gave me an insight into the game that changed my whole perspective. Kind of like Earl Strom's book.

rainmaker Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:05pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Geesh.. you guys are tough on Packer. Of course he's a little annoying.. but, he's not the worst announcer in the world.
Really? Then who is?

Without question, Bill Walton. I think he was the most grating voice, and the most idiotic commentator I've ever heard.

Adam Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:31pm

[B]Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner![/B]

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker(about the worst commentator in hoops)

Without question, Bill Walton. I think he was the most grating voice, and the most idiotic commentator I've ever heard.

Wow, it's not even close. Walton rolls over his competition like Jordanian Bulls. :) Walton would have to be the preseason, mid-season, post-season, and off-season pick for #1.

Mark Dexter Sun Mar 28, 2004 05:43pm

Ref goes to the monitor in the Duke-Xavier game to correct a two point shot that was originally called a three.

Announcer, after the call is corrected: "It's good to see Mike Kitts get one right."

A Pennsylvania Coach Mon Mar 29, 2004 09:23am

I guess rainmaker and I are the only ones watching the women's games (more drama, great storylines, better play execution) but here's one I could hardly believe:

Ann Meyers, who has a basketball resume as long as her arm, doing the Penn State-Notre Dame game, says about a player who shot an airball and caught "last time I checked, that was a travel, wasn't it"? Then Mike Patrick (football guy, so we'll forgive him) agrees!

rainmaker Mon Mar 29, 2004 09:37am

Quote:

Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Ann Meyers, who has a basketball resume as long as her arm, doing the Penn State-Notre Dame game, says about a player who shot an airball and caught "last time I checked, that was a travel, wasn't it"? Then Mike Patrick (football guy, so we'll forgive him) agrees!
She's my nomination for a close second behind Walton as the worst announcer of all time. She's another one that's always second guessing coaches, and even programs with remarks like "I doubt she'll have her job another season" and "She's just never been able to get her players to finish that play." Why in the world they keep her, I have no comprehension. I think Stacy Dales-Shuman is a little dim, but she's basically positive and safe. She doesn't have that jock edge to her voice though..

PS to Pa Coach: I'm not watching them now, since I don't have cable. I'll see them in a day or two, after my friend gets me the tapes.