The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Has anyone heard about the Bar Coding Experiment in California? Some league near Silicon Valley has invented a really niffty new reporting system. All the players have bar codes on their uniforms. The officials carry a radio-transmitting Laser Scanner/Whistle Unit. When pressed the Laser Scanner/Whistle sends a signal to the scoreboard which blows a whistle. The official then scans the player's bar code by Laser(up to 10 feet away) and presses another button on the Scanner/Whistle Unit to indicate the offense. All of this is instantly posted on the remote Score Board in easy to understand graphics similar to Sega including the reporting official's first name. The claim is that it speeds up the game and eliminates the need for the official to approach the table and listen to coach's guff. The Laser/Whistle units have Laser Pointers which help the officials spot throw-in locations, indicate time-outs and warn bench personnel. Technical fouls on coaches are indicated with a "fast-draw" motion and a click of the Laser Trigger on the Unit. This is "state-of-the-art" - we'll all all be using them in 2 years.

Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Question

sounds like an official with not enough assignments on his/her calendar....

this is a joke, right? I'm near Silicon Valley and haven't even heard this one....
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Wow, how innovative! Next we'll have 2 for 1 specials.
If the player pisses you off, you hit the scanner twice and give him two fouls.
What's next? Mechanically programmed coaches. We can input all the common comments from coaches and then the official can put in his standards answers. Quick and easy.
Sounds like you want this to come to pass and be out of a job. Why couldn't there be any number of referees sitting in the stands and calling fouls?
And come to think of it, some enterprising student will steal the computer codes, build himself a laser and 'zap' the visiting team.
Get real!
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 06:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

I have been using these for years. However, the last time the scanner totalled up all the jersey numbers I scanned and charged them to my Visa card!!!
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

The only high tech toy for officials that i know of this christmas is the system that automatic stops the clock when the wistle sounds. A microphone and wireless connection to the time keeping equipment allosw for immediate clock stoppage.

This system has been around for a few years however hasn't really taken hold. Anyone know of the reasons.

keep smiling
SH
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

$$$$$$$$$$

I really doubt you will see it in a high school when only a few college conference use it at this point.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Crow
The officials carry a radio-transmitting Laser Scanner/Whistle Unit.
"Warning. Do not look into laser with remaining eye."
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC
The only high tech toy for officials that i know of this christmas is the system that automatic stops the clock when the wistle sounds. A microphone and wireless connection to the time keeping equipment allosw for immediate clock stoppage.

This system has been around for a few years however hasn't really taken hold. Anyone know of the reasons.

keep smiling
SH
To my knowledge, NBA has been using this for the past 2/3 seasons.

Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 01:34am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Mark is right - the NBA has been using it with much success (ex-NBA referee Mike Constable deveopled the system, named "Precision Timing", btw).

Also, *many* NCAA conferences are using it - it is becoming the rule at the Division I level. I think that it's popularity is going to keep spreading. It keeps the referees in control - when they blow the whistle the clock stops. Period. Also, the refs start the clock using a little button on the pack.

It is interesting how they integrate this into mechanics - they are still experimenting. For instance, it is not necessary to chop the clock, but I think that in the NBA they still do because it looks better and helps you to focus. Also, all of the officials press the button to start the clock - that way, if one forgets they have triple-backup! Plus, the clock operator still performs his normal duties as well. Pretty much there is no way for the clock not to start or stop correctly (sans power failure, maybe!)
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 03:55am
Official Forum Member

I've got no problem with the whistle stopping the clock. It is a useful tool especially in these stadiums with horrendous levels of noise. It is a good tool which assists the officiating team in ensuring that timing does not penalize either team.
Now as to the other stuff.................