Thread: Bar Codes
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 19, 2000, 01:34am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
This system has been around for a few years however hasn't really taken hold. Anyone know of the reasons.
Mark is right - the NBA has been using it with much success (ex-NBA referee Mike Constable deveopled the system, named "Precision Timing", btw).

Also, *many* NCAA conferences are using it - it is becoming the rule at the Division I level. I think that it's popularity is going to keep spreading. It keeps the referees in control - when they blow the whistle the clock stops. Period. Also, the refs start the clock using a little button on the pack.

It is interesting how they integrate this into mechanics - they are still experimenting. For instance, it is not necessary to chop the clock, but I think that in the NBA they still do because it looks better and helps you to focus. Also, all of the officials press the button to start the clock - that way, if one forgets they have triple-backup! Plus, the clock operator still performs his normal duties as well. Pretty much there is no way for the clock not to start or stop correctly (sans power failure, maybe!)