The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

SLU/Iowa Pass n Crash

Unfortunately I did not see this game, only the replay of the last minute played, so I am unable to comment on game consistency.

My first thought when I saw this was, the defender got killed. Watched it again and started thinking about advantage/disadvantage. The defense was not put at any real disadvantage on the play, other than finding himself in amongst the cheerleaders (disadvantage for an 18-22 yr old I think not). There was no play on the ball at this location and it looked and sounded like a flop. Now had the offense attempted a shot, I think the result would have been different.

A couple of things I also considered on the play. The defense was almost under the basket at the time of the collision and the offense didn't have the ball and sort of attempted to slow up. 99% of the time this is a no-call at the D1 level. He was essentially guarding a spot under the basket. The other thing I noticed is that the defender left his player (the shooter) wide open instead of defending against the 3 pt play which is the last thing that should've happened. I think most coaches would be saying to their players, "don't let them take a 3."

my .02
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Disagree

I disagree that the defender left the three point shot open. The reason the three point shot was open because the defender established legal guarding postition to take away the drive to the basket for which his reward for good play was a no call that allowed his opponent to get an uncontested three point attempt. We rewarded good offensive play but not good defensive play. Their reward was a no call.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Michigan-Missouri NIT game

Saw a correctable error and use of the video replay at last night's Michigan-Missouri game. Here's how it looked from the stands:

1. Michigan's Sims was fouled hard in the act of shooting by Missouri's Johnson, who on the play knocked Michigan's Hunter to the floor.

2. Hunter hits his head on the floor and needs to be removed from the game.

3. Officials lose track of the shooter and tell Michigan coach Amaker that Hunter's replacement will shoot the FTs. Amaker puts in a shooting guard who makes the first FT.

4. Missouri coach Snyder then brings the error to the officials' attention.

5. Officials go to courtside monitor to review play.

6. Officials wave off made FT, allow Michigan to change its substitute, since the sub will not be shooting, then place proper shooter at the line.

Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Re: Michigan-Missouri NIT game

Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
Saw a correctable error and use of the video replay at last night's Michigan-Missouri game. Here's how it looked from the stands:

1. Michigan's Sims was fouled hard in the act of shooting by Missouri's Johnson, who on the play knocked Michigan's Hunter to the floor.

2. Hunter hits his head on the floor and needs to be removed from the game.

3. Officials lose track of the shooter and tell Michigan coach Amaker that Hunter's replacement will shoot the FTs. Amaker puts in a shooting guard who makes the first FT.

4. Missouri coach Snyder then brings the error to the officials' attention.

5. Officials go to courtside monitor to review play.

6. Officials wave off made FT, allow Michigan to change its substitute, since the sub will not be shooting, then place proper shooter at the line.

Stan, Please repost this here: http://www.officialforum.com/thread/12745
Old Thu Mar 18, 2004, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ
I disagree that the defender left the three point shot open. The reason the three point shot was open because the defender established legal guarding postition to take away the drive to the basket for which his reward for good play was a no call that allowed his opponent to get an uncontested three point attempt. We rewarded good offensive play but not good defensive play. Their reward was a no call.
I agree with you. The defender made a choice to cut off the drive instead of staying with the shooter. He made this choice as the dribbler was bring the ball up the court after catching it near mid-court. The defender made a good play and the official allowed his team to lose the game because of it.