The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'm officiating a tourney at UMD this weekend, and saw that refs from CBOA (Virginia) and IAABO (I'm assuming southern Maryland) would be evaluating. Are any of those of you who read this board going to be there?

If so - what room are you staying in and what denomination bill do you prefer for bribes?
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 03:17pm
Huck Finn

What kind of tournament is it?
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

NIRSA (college intramural sports) regional tournament.

Winners go on to Ohio for the nationals on Final Four weekend.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I'm officiating a tourney at UMD this weekend, and saw that refs from CBOA (Virginia) and IAABO (I'm assuming southern Maryland) would be evaluating. Are any of those of you who read this board going to be there?

If so - what room are you staying in and what denomination bill do you prefer for bribes?
Not me. Can’t speak for those who are but UM is only about 45 min to 1 hour away from my home in the middle of Fairfax/Northern VA so I don’t thank many will be staying.

Times of your games?
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef

Times of your games?
No clue as of yet.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ref42
Mark, Where Are The Games @ MD?

Hello Mark,

I'm an IAABO #23 member and officiate in the Baltimore, MD area and am also a CBOA Associate member for Balt/Wash. area. I don't know anything about this and I'm not sure there is a CBOA area in Virginia. Also I believe your games have to be in either Cole Field House or Ritchie Colseium as the MD Boys State Semis & Finals start today and run through Saturday at Comcast. Where did your assignment come out of? NIRSA or someone around here? No matter hope you have a great time!
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

I am a member of CBOA (assuming you mean Cardinal Basketball Officials Association), and to the best of my knowledge, we don't do any games in DC/MD. I think it has to do with being "sanctioned"(?) by the Virginia High School League (VHSL), and they obviously have no input to anything in MD. CBOA is somehow affiliated with one of the local IAABO boards for tax exempt purposes -- don't know the details.

Mark: You can send me several $100.00 bills anyway, and I don't even care if the serial numbers are sequential.

RecRef: You by any chance have any other info regarding this tournament?
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

Times of your games?
No clue as of yet.
I've heard this said of your officiating skills on numerous occassions.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 11:05am
If you need me, text me!

NIRSA is the National Intramural Recreational Sports Association. They hold tournaments for college intramural teams that lead to a National Championship in Athens, Ohio at Ohio University each year. These tournaments typically use intramural officials to cover their games and reward the 'best' officials at these tournaments with an opportunity to officiate at the National Championships.

I am guessing that the CBOA evaluators are from George Mason and the IAABO evaluators are from boards 12 and 134.

While I was at JMU I had the opportunity to work 2 of these qualifying tournaments as an official (at UNC and Ohio U-the nationals were held in CA at the time). I also worked one at UNC as an evaluator.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

ocreferee: Not usre what you mean by "CBOA evaluators being from George Mason". Come to think of it, 3 of our senior officials work at George Mason University.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 12:11pm
If you need me, text me!

DBLref...

That's who I was thinking. My Dad was telling me that 2 (if not all 3) work in the athletic department (which oversees their intramural sports).

Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
I am a member of CBOA (assuming you mean Cardinal Basketball Officials Association), and to the best of my knowledge, we don't do any games in DC/MD. I think it has to do with being "sanctioned"(?) by the Virginia High School League (VHSL), and they obviously have no input to anything in MD. CBOA is somehow affiliated with one of the local IAABO boards for tax exempt purposes -- don't know the details.

Mark: You can send me several $100.00 bills anyway, and I don't even care if the serial numbers are sequential.

dblref - Found out more since my last post. I work in the same office as Bill T, Cardinal’s interpreter for those who don’t know, and he knows nothing about it. He said that he would find it strange that anyone would officially be there since the Virginia State Finals are this Saturday in Richmond. Maybe someone is freelancing.

Besides Cardinal, there is also Central, and Colonial associations in VA so CBOA could be one of them.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Mark

I am a member of IAABO #134 and we are not involved. We are not sending evaluators there. Things could change as we all know. Good luck to you this weekend.

Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by dblref

dblref - Found out more since my last post. I work in the same office as Bill T, Cardinal’s interpreter for those who don’t know, and he knows nothing about it. He said that he would find it strange that anyone would officially be there since the Virginia State Finals are this Saturday in Richmond. Maybe someone is freelancing.

Besides Cardinal, there is also Central, and Colonial associations in VA so CBOA could be one of them.
RecRef: I had forgotten about the Central & Colonial. In fact, 2 teams from the Central group worked the doubleheader at Robinson this past weekend.

Ask Bill T. if he is still the "leader" in issuing T's this year. Ran into he and his wife in a furniture store in Manassas on MLK holiday and he "confessed". I was surprised, thought it would have been Chris V.