The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Hey CMatthews

I worked 3A West in Lyman. A fun tournament. Last year I had the 1A/2A West in Lander/Riverton which was also very fun as there were alot of teams there.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

GreenRiver v Gillette

WyoRef, be sure to call it both ways.

Tell me how the game goes for you and if you have any impressions of team I would like to hear them.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 01:35pm
Huck Finn

Just like others have said, you shouldn't care if a coach tells you good job or not. But, if a coach approaches you after the game and says other things they could be genuine. Think about the fact that between the lines they want to win period. After that maybe they are a nice guy/gal. That will be up to you to decide. They are there to do a job and so are we. If people judged us simply on our officiating then that wouldn't be fair. Yes, I'm a Basketball official but that does not tell the story of who I am as a man.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
If people judged us simply on our officiating then that wouldn't be fair. Yes, I'm a Basketball official but that does not tell the story of who I am as a man.
The way you officiate reveals something about what kind of man you are. If you are fair or unfair, hard working or lazy, approachable or arrogant, humble or domineering, those characteristics are probably a pretty good indicator of the kind of person you are. A person who is constantly whiny and manipulative, maybe even abusive, and tries to gain unfair advantage between the lines, I think, has some character issues. It may not tell the whole story, but it tells a part of it.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 05:23pm
Huck Finn

I can agree with you that it does tell some of the story but not the whole story. So even though an official or a coach is a jerk on the floor doesn't mean they are a jerk. I still play sometimes (it is getting hard to do much except shoot the 3) and I have to separate the officiating from the playing.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
I can agree with you that it does tell some of the story but not the whole story. So even though an official or a coach is a jerk on the floor doesn't mean they are a jerk. I still play sometimes (it is getting hard to do much except shoot the 3) and I have to separate the officiating from the playing.
If you can't coach or officiate without being a jerk, I have a hard time believing this doesn't show in other aspects of your life. I am not saying that you can't be a nice person to talk to in certain contexts if you are a jerk in a game, but I do believe that how you behave in all circumstances tells a lot about your character as a person, such as your ability to exercise self control, your ego, etc. Your behavior in any circumstance is one of many windows into who you are as a person - it isn't as simple as what you see on the court, but it isn't just who you are off the court either. It is somewhere in all of that.

And if you really are a nice person who cannot deal with the competitive environment without being a jerk, then it does tell me something about your judgment if nothing else. If you can't handle the heat, don't go back into that kitchen. Stick to situations where you can control your emotions. Just my opinion, of course!
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Re: You're an educated man. Allow me to pay you the compliment of being blunt.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by FHSUref
I am sure that a winning coach that tells you good job can mean it. Just ask yourself though would that same coach tell you good job after a loss?
Let me pass a nugget along to you.

Without regard to win or lose, if he says you did a good job and you believe him, then do you also believe him when he tells you that you sucked?

Bottom line, most coaches couldn't give a crap about you. They just want what you can do for them the next time.
Following a recent playoff game I worked, my partner and I crossed paths with the losing team in the parking lot. The entire coaching staff and a few parents stopped us to say how happy they were with the job we did and talked for several minutes. They had traveled from the opposite side of the state (Oregon) which was over a 10 hour drive. In 12 years in Oregon, I had never even heard of their school and had never even heard of the town they were from. I'll probably never see them again. I think I can file that one away as genuine.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: You're an educated man. Allow me to pay you the compliment of being blunt.

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Following a recent playoff game I worked, my partner and I crossed paths with the losing team in the parking lot. The entire coaching staff and a few parents stopped us to say how happy they were with the job we did and talked for several minutes. They had traveled from the opposite side of the state (Oregon) which was over a 10 hour drive. In 12 years in Oregon, I had never even heard of their school and had never even heard of the town they were from. I'll probably never see them again. I think I can file that one away as genuine.
I knew you'd get a play-off game this year, and I figured you'd do well. But that doesn't reduce the sincerity of my congratulations! Also, can you come and eval at my camp again this year? Thanks...
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
If you can't coach or officiate without being a jerk, I have a hard time believing this doesn't show in other aspects of your life....
I believe that how you behave in all circumstances tells a lot about your character as a person, such as your ability to exercise self control, your ego, etc.
AMEN!!! I second this attitude!