The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I'm working my first 3 man games tonight since camp last summer. I don't remember exactly what the areas are, but I can look them up in the officials manual before the games. I believe we'll be working hs mechanics. Aside from the areas, I understand that rotating (and therefore being aware of where the lead is) is important. Are there any other keys that I should be aware of?
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 11:45pm
9 times

This is probably too late for your games tonight, but I always tell officials new to 3 whistles that they should remember to call the game. Too often they get caught up in "am I in the right place" or "am I watching in the right area" that they forget to call the game. Brush up on which area is which and what "keys" the lead will use to start the rotation, but relax and call the game.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Mar 08, 2004, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

What stripes said.

The next biggest thing is to just take your time, and make sure that, when you inbound the ball, you have 2 refs on that side of the court.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the responses. Had three games tonight and they went great. The first game was a 60 point blowout where we only called maybe 10 fouls the whole game. It was a perfect opportunity to get into the flow. The game just looked different, especially from the C. I was worried that I would forget to call the game, but the positioning and rotations went very easy. Thinking about the areas was more distracting. But only for a little while.

Most of all, I had a LOT of fun tonight!