Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
The reason for the acknowledgement was that words change their meanings over time, and in English, more and more, certain collections of words have come to acquire specific meanings which can be expressed in no other way. For instance, the verb phrase, "to play through", as used in golf. How could the idea, "May I play through?" be properly expressed without the "through" at the end?
I would probably buy your premise, Juulie, but the example isn't the best. "Play through" is just short-hand for "play through your group". You're asking if it's ok to play through another group of players.

It's like "to go out". It's just short-hand for "to go out-of-doors".
Yes in deed, I agree, most people are, for the lack of a better phrase, lazy to finish a sentence. I have worked hard to teach my daughter proper English. She complains to me about the teachers at school for using poor grammer and incorrect wording.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

I haven't been informed of the "new way". I thought there were only two ways, correct and incorrect.
Amen!
Old Tue Mar 09, 2004, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Yes in deed, I agree, most people are, for the lack of a better phrase, lazy to finish a sentence. I have worked hard to teach my daughter proper English. She complains to me about the teachers at school for using poor grammer and incorrect wording.
Yes, in deeds and in thought people are lazy indeed! And let's not forget about their spelling in addition to their grammar! Ahem.
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by PGCougar
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Yes, in deeds and in thought people are lazy indeed! And let's not forget about their spelling in addition to their grammar! Ahem.
PG -- In Bart's case, I think it's mostly just typing. It does make a cute little irony, though!
Old Wed Mar 10, 2004, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

yes, you got me, ...again.