The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   moving screen (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12570-moving-screen.html)

just another ref Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:52am

I've always found it interesting to watch players at the younger levels as they set screens and the defenders as they deal with the screen. Yes, some will practically tackle the defender as he passes. "How could it be a foul on me? My team has the ball!" But other times the defender will oblige and run in a big wide arc to avoid the screener, and naturally, sometimes the screener will follow and almost herd the defender right off the court. This, of course, leads to yells from the "knowledgeable" coaches and parents: "Moving screen! He can't do that!" I have explained this several times this year that, yes, he can do that, as long as there is no contact. This gave me an idea.
(Yes, I do get ideas.) Take your best ballhandler, put your widest body in front of him, and have the two of them turn the corner and take it right to the hoop. A kind of a power sweep, if you will. I think there is at least a chance that the defense would part like the Red Sea and your
guy could shoot a layup. Has anyone ever seen anything close to this tried? Did it work? Could it work? Have I gone totally over the edge?

footlocker Thu Mar 04, 2004 01:43am

How is it on the other side of the edge?

rainmaker Thu Mar 04, 2004 02:18am

Quote:

Originally posted by just another ref
(Yes, I do get ideas.) Take your best ballhandler, put your widest body in front of him, and have the two of them turn the corner and take it right to the hoop. A kind of a power sweep, if you will. I think there is at least a chance that the defense would part like the Red Sea and your
guy could shoot a layup. Has anyone ever seen anything close to this tried? Did it work? Could it work? Have I gone totally over the edge?

It will depend on the knowledge and experience of the opposing coach. It will work sometimes... and not others.

Triangle NC ref Wed Mar 10, 2004 03:29pm

I did it this year several times to break the press-kind of like the flying wedge <g>

Worked several times against fellow (very) weak teams.

Got our clock cleaned by most of the teams-must of been the coaching.

BTW-just finished my dual role of coaching youth league (above) and officiating again after a fifteen year layoff. Many props and thanks to all of you who have helped me be a MUCH better official than I was before I started participating in this forum.

Can't tell you how many times I have had situations that I read about here and end up using this forum as part of my personal pregame ritual before going to the site.

If anybody has info on officials camps in Raleigh/Central NC area, please let me know.

Chris

Stan Wed Mar 10, 2004 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by footlocker
How is it on the other side of the edge?
ROTFLMAO

just another ref Thu Mar 11, 2004 01:19am

Quote:

Originally posted by Triangle NC ref
I did it this year several times to break the press-kind of like the flying wedge <g>

Worked several times against fellow (very) weak teams.

See! Told ya!

Forksref Thu Mar 11, 2004 01:33am

Correct, no foul without contact.

I've seen little kids screen with their arms straight out. Kinda funny.

In coaching, the biggest problem I had with screens was the person that the screen was set for (dribbler or cutter), cuts or dribbles so wide that the defender can easily get through the screen. I told the players to 'take some skin', i.e., bump your teammate so that there is no room for the defender to get through. I see players at ALL levels fail to use a screen properly.

"It takes two people for a screen to be effective."

CYO Butch Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:44am

Green Bay sweep

A team of 3rd grade girls, and the coach had them run a power sweep to the right. His two biggest girls lined up in a mini stack just above the circle, and as the point dribbled up to them, they took off to the right, almost shoulder to shoulder, with the point guard dribbling right behind them. They would get a couple of fouls called early in a game, but the intimidation factor was so great that after a couple of times, the girls from the other teams would just run out of their way. After two games of doing this, the rec department got on the coach's case (in writing) and also told the officials (in writing) that this was considered unsportsmanlike conduct any any further use of it would be a "T".

I guess the guy went back to football, since he kind of dropped out of sight after that season.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:39pm

Re: Green Bay sweep

Quote:

Originally posted by CYO Butch
A team of 3rd grade girls, and the coach had them run a power sweep to the right. His two biggest girls lined up in a mini stack just above the circle, and as the point dribbled up to them, they took off to the right, almost shoulder to shoulder, with the point guard dribbling right behind them. They would get a couple of fouls called early in a game, but the intimidation factor was so great that after a couple of times, the girls from the other teams would just run out of their way. After two games of doing this, the rec department got on the coach's case (in writing) and also told the officials (in writing) that this was considered unsportsmanlike conduct any any further use of it would be a "T".

I guess the guy went back to football, since he kind of dropped out of sight after that season.

Please tell me that the officialsm, after receiving the letter from rec. dept., that what the team was doing was legal and not unsportsmanlike conduct, and showed the rec. dept. the rule book.

RecRef Thu Mar 11, 2004 01:42pm

Re: Re: Green Bay sweep

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Originally posted by CYO Butch

Please tell me that the officialsm, after receiving the letter from rec. dept., that what the team was doing was legal and not unsportsmanlike conduct, and showed the rec. dept. the rule book.

This is not the NFHS or NCAA here. Rec departments and rec leagues make up all sorts of rules on how a game is to be played and called.

Hawks Coach Thu Mar 11, 2004 02:01pm

MTD
Please tell me you don't think this is how you want third grade girls or boys to learn to play basketball. Pull this crap in HS and people will draw fouls, and you will stop doing this. But there is no reason to put third graders in a position of being told to stand in front of a freight train and take a charge for the team. They are not sufficiently skilled or experienced to have to deal with this kind of strategy, nor should they be. This isn't basketball as played at any level of the game. This is pure BS.

You really amaze me sometimes. This is clearly outside the spirit of the rules, is unsporting, and an inappropriate way to teach basketball to youth players. If you can't recognize this, you should stick to HS and skip the youth games. (This last piece for those who think we are a bunch of softies)

CYO Butch Thu Mar 11, 2004 03:05pm

Amen

Quote:

Originally posted by Hawks Coach
MTD
Please tell me you don't think this is how you want third grade girls or boys to learn to play basketball. Pull this crap in HS and people will draw fouls, and you will stop doing this. But there is no reason to put third graders in a position of being told to stand in front of a freight train and take a charge for the team. They are not sufficiently skilled or experienced to have to deal with this kind of strategy, nor should they be. This isn't basketball as played at any level of the game. This is pure BS.

You really amaze me sometimes. This is clearly outside the spirit of the rules, is unsporting, and an inappropriate way to teach basketball to youth players. If you can't recognize this, you should stick to HS and skip the youth games. (This last piece for those who think we are a bunch of softies)

Of course the Green Bay Sweep is legal, per se, but it sure scared the heck out of those little girls. Hawks Coach, you, like many who post here, understand there is a HUGE difference between what goes on on behalf of the little ones and high school players for whom the official rules are written. The league in question (Montgomery County, MD, Department of Recreation) has a set of very explict guidelines for coach and parental behavior, playing time, etc. Their 3rd graders are not allowed to play zones. Imagine a little kid out there trying to guard their "man" when she is run over. Most of them really were terrified. This happened six years ago, but for the girls I worked with that year, they still remember playing in that game, how "dirty" the other team was, and how freightend they were when they saw the two" monsters" coming at them.

And by the way, MTD, just because it isn't illegal in the NFHS rule book doesn't mean it can't be unsportsmanlike. Do you think Dennis Rodman's intimidating behavior (choose your thug) in the NBA would be allowed in HS? There are age and level appropriate lines that shouldn't have to be spelled out in the book. For a league to give written guidance to the officials in it should be welcomed by the officials and should never deserve a rebuke from them. It is pretty common practice for youth leagues in general, and rec leagues in particular, to spell out differences from the NFHS book. In this case, the officials were glad to get the explicit direction so that it could be applied consistently by all of them.

Adam Thu Mar 11, 2004 05:11pm

I would like to think I could have called this without direction from the league, but would have welcomed this directive.
MTD, it's only legal if the league says it is. They could even redefine traveling if they wanted to.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:00am

In the structural engineering profession, a structural engineer is hired to design a building because he/she is the expert in designing buildings not the person who hired him/her. While the structural engineer is ethically required to put his client's needs before his/hers, that does not mean that he/she can ignore good engineering practice or design codes to give the client what he/she wants. If the client wants the building designed in such a way that would violate design codes or good engineering practice, the structural engineer is ethically required to ignore his/her client's desires.

How does the structural engineering example apply to the situation in this post. Simple, the basketball officials were hired by the recreation department because they are the experts in the rules of basketball and the mechanics of basketball officiating, and the recreation department is not. Just because the recreation department wants the game officials to ignore the rules, does not mean the game officials are to follow the recreation department's directive. The game officials have an ethical and professional duty to inform the recreation department that what it wants the game officials to do is in violation of the rules of basketball.

I know that there are officials in this post that thing that what the coach is doing is despicable, but having two players run down the court, shoulder-to-shoulder in front of the dribbler, is not an infraction of the rules. Yes, I know that recreation leagues draw up special rules for their leagues, such as running clock and stopped clock situations, timeouts per game, disqualification for a single unsportsmanlike technical foul, and such. But to attempt to charge a player with a technical foul for doing something that is legal under the rules is just wrong and a misguided attempt to enforce a psuedo sportsmanship rule.

canuckrefguy Fri Mar 12, 2004 01:37am

From the Oxford Dictionary of Current English:

Officious (oh-fish-is) - adj - (1) Asserting authority in an overbearing way. (2) See above post.