The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 14, 2000, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dibbs
Question

How would you call this? In a freshman game last night A1 dribbles up to divsion line and stops with his right foot in the front court and his left foot in the back court and at the same time dribbling the ball in the front court. So
far no problem until the player quickly changes feet, now the left foot goes into the front court and the right foot goes into the back court. It did not look right and the next thing I knew I blew my whistle and called it over and back, but I'am not sure if I got it right? I check with other officials and got differant answers.
This my second year and I have not seen this before. Thanks for the help!
Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Unless I was absolutely sure that the left foot touched the floor in the FC before the right foot touched in the BC. When I say absolutely sure, I mean without a hint of doubt. It would have to be crystal clear.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 03:47pm
Suppref

You have to ask yourself if at any time were both feet and the ball in the front court? If so backcourt violation. If not nothing to call.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2000, 07:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dibbs
How would you call this? In a freshman game last night A1 dribbles up to divsion line and stops with his right foot in the front court and his left foot in the back court and at the same time dribbling the ball in the front court. So far no problem until the player quickly changes feet, now the left foot goes into the front court and the right foot goes into the back court. It did not look right and the next thing I knew I blew my whistle and called it over and back, but I'am not sure if I got it right? I check with other officials and got differant answers.
This my second year and I have not seen this before. Thanks for the help!
Dibbs,
I am agreeing with BktBallRef
Even in a jump switch with both feet in the air, if the left foot hit FC first, the player is now in the FC.
If the right foot his first, then the player is still in the back court.
And if you don't know, don't blow.
That's a lot like traveling. Just because it looked funny, doesn't make it illegal, make sure, or pass.
I agree with you, there are some "fancy dance steps" on the hardwood.
mick
Old Sun Dec 17, 2000, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Backcourt violations by the dribbler are simple. Both feet and the ball need to achieve front court status or it's nothing.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2000, 07:32pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I would have nothing.
Old Mon Dec 18, 2000, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

This is why any good coach lets their players know not only the rules, but also how to lessen the chance that the official will misinterpret either the rules or the players action. This player is asking for an over and back call, even if he/she didn't commit the violation. And if this wasn't a violation, a player that flirts with that line in such a maaner probably will commit a few, so watch them close.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2000, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

I want this coach in my area....

I agree with the Hawks Coach. The coach in that situation probably deserves the call.

As I read your description, I have nothing. After the left foot goes to the front court, does the ball bounce before the right foot goes to the back court? If so, then I have a violation.

I figure that the left foot was the last of the three to reach the front court. I now begin to watch for all three in a sequence to establish front court status. If the right foot gets to the back court before the ball bounces again, I have the player still in the back court.

I can understand how one would argue this differently, saying that the left foot completed the three, and established the front court status. I just don't agree with it.

Again, a good coach will teach his players to avoid what looks bad. Few teams get to play with "NBA" referees. We all make mistakes, so try not to give me the chance to make a mistake and hurt you.