The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Run the line? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/12567-run-line.html)

BigGref Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:58pm

Had a stitch two nights ago.
I was L, After the 2nd FT was made, T blows whistle and cancels shot, shooter steped over the line; can the offended team run the baseline, or is it a spot throw-in?

One-Whistle Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:03pm

Spot Throw-in

The violation is.... a violation, 2nd shot was NOT a made basket.

cmathews Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:05pm

The answer is it is a spot through in...the reasons are posted above :D

Foncal Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:18pm

throw-in

The only time you can run the baseline is after a MADE basket. Even if there is a timeout in between the throw in or not, but the basket has to be made, and no fouls or violations can occur between.

The violation of the free throw voids the team being able to run the base line.

BigJoe Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:41pm

Foncal,

Your post isn't entirely so. If the thrower is allowed to run the endline and the defending team is guilty of a violation, or foul if not in the bonus, the thrower is still allowed to run the endline. Rule 7-5-7. I just wanted to clarify that for BigGref.
Everything else is as the posters say.

Foncal Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:16am

Thanks for correcting me, but if what you say it true, then if the shooter, A1 of the free throw in the earlier case made the first... wouldn't team B then be allowed to run the baseline. Because the second shot didn't count because of a violation?

Thanks!

BoomerSooner Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:41am

Foncal, that is interesting logic, but the violation still takes precendence because the violation occured prior to B having the ability to run the baseline. Based on your logic, B should just grab the ball after the first FT and start running the baseline to inbound the ball. I'm sure you know this and were just trying to get a rise out of everyone.

Foncal Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:52am

Well the logic I wsa using would be better explained throughout this example. For this example I would say that team B can NOT run the baseline.

Player A1 shoots and makes the first of two free-throws. A1 then airballs the second one. Tweet(Violation) team B gets the ball under the basket. Now, since team A had made the prior basket (and there was a violation on the shot) does team B get to run the baseline?

I say no, because of the rule and the logic that team A still missed a shot. Therefore there was no made basket before team B was set to imbound.

BUT in the case of an offensive lane violation-- the shot taken by team A shouln't even count as an attempt, since there is an offensive lane violation and the shot it discarded. Now since the shot never took place and A1 did make the first one, can team B now run the baseline. I still say no, but this did come up in a game and is a good question to put out there.

Take care!

just another ref Thu Mar 04, 2004 01:15am

7-5-12: After a free-throw violation by the throwing team, provided there are no additional free-throws to be awarded, any opponent of the throwing team shall make the throw-in from the out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation.

rainmaker Thu Mar 04, 2004 02:32am

Re: throw-in

Quote:

Originally posted by Foncal
The only time you can run the baseline is after a MADE basket.
I don't see a lot of BI or GT, but I think you can also run the endline after an AWARDED basket. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

BigGref Thu Mar 04, 2004 02:39am

thanks for the input!!

sounds right to me rainmaker

So the consensus is spot throw-in!

Nevadaref Thu Mar 04, 2004 03:55am

The comment for the rule change 7-5-7 in the 2001-2002 Rules Book was: "THROW-IN PROVISION AFTER A SCORE (7-5-7): To prohibit the team that just scored from gaining an advantage, this change permits a team to run the end line on a throw-in when either a foul or violation is committed by the scoring team immediately following a made basket or on the ensuing throw-in. This change only applies when the spot for the throw-in would be at the end line."

This means that the foul or violation occurs while the ball is dead after the goal or DURING the throw-in which follows. Note that violating as the ball is touched on the throw-in, such as a kick, is considered to be during the throw-in.
In the case of violating on the second free-throw attempt, the team is not violating during a dead ball or during the throw-in, so this rule doesn't apply.
And as rainmaker said, this also applies after an awarded goal.