The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Earlier tonight, i went out to dinner at my local Hooters, and the Raptors games was on. I always thought that the NBA used an actual jump ball for every alternating possession situation, but i didn't see a jump ball to start the second quarter. I'm just wondering what happens at the beginning of a quarter that isn't the first.

This may sound like a stupid question, but i don't watch that much NBA, and i just couldn't figure this one out.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

The team which gains first possession of the game will put the ball into play at their opponent's endline to begin the fourth period. The other team will put the ball into play at their opponent's endline at the beginning of the second and third periods. (NBA Rule 6-1-b)
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Great call Shadow, They're also allowed to run the endline on the throw in as well.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

But all other jump ball situations have an actual jump ball, right??
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, essentially the same things that cause a jump in high school and college create a jump ball in the NBA. Depending on the situation and the location, the jump will occur in the center circle or the 2 free throw circles, and, again depending on the situation, either between 2 designated jumpers or between any 2 opponents.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 04:05pm
In Memoriam

Smile Interesting.

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowStripes
The team which gains first possession of the game will put the ball into play at their opponent's endline to begin the fourth period. The other team will put the ball into play at their opponent's endline at the beginning of the second and third periods. (NBA Rule 6-1-b)
Thanks, ShadowStripes.
mick
Old Sat Mar 13, 2004, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

The NBA and the ULEB (Union of European Basketball Leagues) have adopted a similar jump ball rule. The ULEB differences are mostly cosmetic (the old FIBA rule on location of some jump balls) and the quarter possession throw-in is at the center line, not at the end line.

NBA Rule 6, Section V states jump balls are between any two opponents in the center circle to start a game, a double free throw violation, double foul with neither team in control of the ball (if one team is in control, they retain control), double goaltending, dead ball with neither team in control of the ball, ball lodged between ring and backboard, double foul because of difference in opinion by officials, suspension of play in a loose ball, fighting with neither team in control of the ball, or an accidental whistle during a shot where the 24-second clock subsequently expires and the shot touches the ring and misses.

Section VI states any of the closest face-off circle (the free-throw lanes feature a face-off circle) during a held ball, double out-of-bounds, or when it is impossible to know which team last touched the ball. The first two involve the two offending players to tap.

Bobby
Deut 31:6-8
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ace
They're also allowed to run the endline on the throw in as well.
Great point, ace. I had forgotten that the inbounder could run the endline.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby
Section VI states any of the closest face-off circle
Oh man, all we need are face-offs in basketball. Can we send one of the jumpers out of the circle if he tries to time the toss?