The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Can a team put one of their supporters at the table to keep a scorebook for themselves?? (not the official scorebook) Provided that they don't distract or hinder the scorer and timer of course.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing says they can't. Actually they can help straighten things out if the official book gets confused. Provided they want to be helpful and not be the cause of the confusion.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2004, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

I would never listen to them if there was a problem with the official book. ITs the official book for a reason, its final and absolute, without definite knowledge from an on court official it cannot be changed, doesn't matter how many scorers from each team are there.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
I would never listen to them if there was a problem with the official book. ITs the official book for a reason, its final and absolute, without definite knowledge from an on court official it cannot be changed, doesn't matter how many scorers from each team are there.
That's not a good attitude to have. The official book is NOT absolute and final. Just because it's official, doesn't mean it's right or that a mistake can't be made. We routinely have a home book and a visitors' book. Even in tournaments, where there's an official scorer, we allow the two teams to have a scorer at the table. Mistakes can be made and any substantial evidence should be heard.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
I remember seeing in one of the Rule/case books about table officials being able to help on a question about something.

I forget what exactly this pertained to...so if anyone could give me a refresher about what table personell can do, outside of their obvious roles, I would really appreciate it, Thanks!
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 07:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGref
I remember seeing in one of the Rule/case books about table officials being able to help on a question about something.

I forget what exactly this pertained to...so if anyone could give me a refresher about what table personell can do, outside of their obvious roles, I would really appreciate it, Thanks!

You can consult with the timer(s) about end-of-quarter situations, if you aren't sure that (1) a ball was in flight on a field goal before the horn sounded, or(2) a foul occurred before the horn sounded. Naturally, this shouldn't happen very often, as the officials on the floor should be aware and prepared for these last-second calls. If you have a real noisy crowd, and you and your partners aren't really 100% sure about the call though, then you are allowed to consult with the timer(s) to get help. The final decision always belongs with the Referee though. If there is doubt, and the timers aren't sure if a basket counted or not, then you should count the basket; similarly, if there is doubt whether a foul that was called happened before or after the horn, and the timer(s) can't help, then the Referee should charge the foul.

To sum up, if you do happen to get into a end-of-quarter situation like this, where you aren't sure whether a basket counts, or the foul occurred before the horn, it always goes like this :
1) Consult with partner(s) about call.
2) If still not sure, consult with timer(s).
3) If still not sure, then the Referee will count the basket or charge the foul.
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
Can a team put one of their supporters at the table to keep a scorebook for themselves?? (not the official scorebook) Provided that they don't distract or hinder the scorer and timer of course.
2-1-1: The officials ... shall be assisted by two timers and two scorers. A single timer and a single scorer may be used ...

I assume that's what you are talking about.