View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 06, 2004, 07:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGref
I remember seeing in one of the Rule/case books about table officials being able to help on a question about something.

I forget what exactly this pertained to...so if anyone could give me a refresher about what table personell can do, outside of their obvious roles, I would really appreciate it, Thanks!

You can consult with the timer(s) about end-of-quarter situations, if you aren't sure that (1) a ball was in flight on a field goal before the horn sounded, or(2) a foul occurred before the horn sounded. Naturally, this shouldn't happen very often, as the officials on the floor should be aware and prepared for these last-second calls. If you have a real noisy crowd, and you and your partners aren't really 100% sure about the call though, then you are allowed to consult with the timer(s) to get help. The final decision always belongs with the Referee though. If there is doubt, and the timers aren't sure if a basket counted or not, then you should count the basket; similarly, if there is doubt whether a foul that was called happened before or after the horn, and the timer(s) can't help, then the Referee should charge the foul.

To sum up, if you do happen to get into a end-of-quarter situation like this, where you aren't sure whether a basket counts, or the foul occurred before the horn, it always goes like this :
1) Consult with partner(s) about call.
2) If still not sure, consult with timer(s).
3) If still not sure, then the Referee will count the basket or charge the foul.