The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

Question

Can a player dribble a ball while out of bounds on a throw in? The question is about the thrower. What if the dribble touches inbounds?

Instinct tells me that this is legal so long has he does not leave his spot (on a designated throw in). Once the dribble touches inbounds, it's a violation on the retouch. Please help with the rule or case book here.

Thanks.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Something tells me there isn't anything that says you can't, except the wording of the throw in rule (sorry for inablity to get exact wording - posting from work - no book). Doesn't it say something to the effect of the thrower has 5 seconds to release the ball so that it enters the inbounds area of the court??? If it does (or at least to that effect) then a dribble would be releasing it so that it doesn't enter the playing area. Just a thought
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 02:13am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by footlocker
Can a player dribble a ball while out of bounds on a throw in? The question is about the thrower. What if the dribble touches inbounds?

Instinct tells me that this is legal so long has he does not leave his spot (on a designated throw in). Once the dribble touches inbounds, it's a violation on the retouch. Please help with the rule or case book here.

Thanks.
No rule against dribbling out of bounds, just big potential for a screw up, I think. 9-2-10: The thrower shall not be out of bounds when he/she touches or is touched by the ball after it has been released on a throw-in pass.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

What you are looking for is in the Simplified and Illustrated Book at the top of page 58 picture 2.
The text states: "9-2-2 In (1), No. 10 commits a throw-in violation when the throw-in pass strikes the floor out of bounds. In (2), it is not a violation when No. 4 bounces the ball on the out-of-bounds area before making the throw-in."