The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like the parochial league I've been doing games in has concluded its regular season (I think the tournaments are this week, but I would not expect an assignment there).

What can I do from now until the late fall?

I've put my name in with both local parks districts just so they know I'm alive. I've inquired with NBA Hoop-It-Up, which comes near me this summer, and which says they always need refs. The local NBA team has a training/academy type setup literally 300 yards from my house, and I've told them I'm available and close by in case they have anything going on.

I see on my state association site that there is a 6-hour clinic offered in June not far from me for $50, with "Targeted Experience Level: All Levels" and "Mechanics Emphasis: 3-Person" listed. Is that something I should sign up for?

Anything else? Gus Macker's not coming within 70 miles of me, apparently.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

After taking a little time off to rest and recover from a couple of small ailments, I'll be working some rec ball, going to some camps, and hitting the weight room and running to get ready for next season.

I don't recall if you've ever said if you're a member of a local officials association. If not, I would seriously consider joining one. Even if you opt not to join, they should have some good info on what's happening in your area and about training and camps.

Oh, and I'll be hanging out here. The off season is a good time to work on rules knowledge and mechanics knowledge. And this place can be pretty entertaining once the BoSox start playing
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, one of the folks on here was very helpful in that regard, and I contacted the head of a local officials association and will be getting in with them next season.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.