The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Refresh me on this, saw it happen in a JV game last night. Fifty five seconds left in fourth period, inbound, fast break, missed shot, rebound, other way fast break, missed shot, rebound, foul, two shots. Fifty five seconds left on clock. I thought if you did not have a count to go by or had definite knowledge just how much time elapsed, you left the time alone. They guessed and put 43 seconds on clock. Correct?
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebra44
Refresh me on this, saw it happen in a JV game last night. Fifty five seconds left in fourth period, inbound, fast break, missed shot, rebound, other way fast break, missed shot, rebound, foul, two shots. Fifty five seconds left on clock. I thought if you did not have a count to go by or had definite knowledge just how much time elapsed, you left the time alone. They guessed and put 43 seconds on clock. Correct?
If they truely "guessed", then incorrect. If they had some counts going during part of this, then they could take that time off.

Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

agreed. What if there were 13 seconds left in the game? Would they have set the new time to 1 second? What if there were 11 seconds, would the game be over before the foul?

We have to have definite knowledge in order to change the clock. They failed in watching the clock. Should not have gone on this long with out being noticed. I always have meddling parents yelling when the clock isn't started. I always look.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

We are required by our association to do the clock several times a year at varsity level games. It has taught me several things to be aware off and to do while on court.

First, and simplest, is that if you can not see the timekeeper he can not see you. Make sure you have eye contact with the timer before you give the ball off to the inbounder.

Chirps are fine for birds but not fine in a gym full of screaming fans. Blow that Fox 40 with force and length.

Last minute of a close game make sure you start a count when the ball is touched inbounds and make the hand arm motion very visible. Under no circumstances allow a home clock not to start after 3 counts. If the advantage is to the home team by not starting the clock, home has the ball, stop the play. Walk over to the table and have the clock reset. If home coach says anything simply say to him/her, “The clock was not started and I have corrected it.” Walk away and restart or have a partner restart the game.

Don’t hesitate to take the timer to task or even replace him. A few weeks back I had to tell a timer that he could either talk on the cell phone or do the clock. If he was going to do the clock he had to put the phone out of sight.

Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

This was a three whistle crew. Home clock, and only a few minor yodels from the sparse visitors section.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebra44
This was a three whistle crew. Home clock, and only a few minor yodels from the sparse visitors section.
Pre game, who is going to watch the clock in close games.

Heck, it could even be at the last moment, "Jim, watch the clock after I throw it in."