The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Are there any states out there other than ours where only three people, all from the same town select the referees for the state tournament. They not only select but they don't ask local groups for input. In fact one of the selectees was singled out by the local group as being non receptive to evaluations or comment after their game by partners or other officials. We have no say in anything from the state all referee input is from the same town as the selection committee.
If this isnt new how do you keep local refs motivated to improve and work hard when nothing you do matters.
Thanks for help
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

In my state, officials that work post season games (regionals, sub-state and state) are selected based on the number of recomendations received from coaches. You see four coaches a night so there are a number of recomendations out there. That is if the coaches remember to recomend you!!!!
Old Mon Mar 01, 2004, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

In Washington state we have 5 classifications of HS BB. 4A, 3A, 2A, 1A and B. Each of those classifications is a separate tournament (boys and girls played at the same location) Each tournament utilizes 16 officials for boys and 16 officials for girls. So each year there are 160 officials who get to experience a state tournament. (You can only go to one tournament a year and cannot do a boys and girls tourney in the same year). The state uses a formula that includes the total number of registered officials in the state, the number of schools your organization services and the number of officials required (160) which determines the number of officials your organization sends to state. For our organization we select 7 officials each year. (with our local policy being-go one year- sit one year)
The state will allocate slots in the different classifications and allows the officials organization to name those officials. This year we got 2 at the 4A, 2 at 3A, 1 each at 2A, 1A and the B. The officials are then selected from the ratings and evaluations from the previous year with the top seven officials (who did not go last year) that are available and physically ready. We are thinking of changing our local policy to allow an official to go 2 consecutive years and then sit out one year. This allows for a lot more exposure throughout our list. No hidden agendas or smokey backrooms, just work on your game to get to that spot on the list to get selected. In past years due to injuries, officials opting out of a state assignemt and availibility we have gone top #16-18 on a 45 man Varsity list with no problem.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

In Wyoming we have a selection system that is based mostly on scores from 2 evaluations per year, or so we think. This year we don't get to see the scores from our evals just the constructive comments. According to our Associate Commisioner, the tally goes 70% eval scores, 20% coaches votes and 10% commisioner reccomendation...no on knows for sure how it works...we just hope to be in the right group....
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Seems to me RefRX that your system works well. I know for sure that our system doesn't work that well. It comes down to if the coach knows you or not in Kansas.

I have only been officiating for five years now and have been lucky enough to officiate two 1A (lowest class) regional tournaments and two Sub-state tournaments (1A & 4A). I believe that I have a polished look out there (one armed official, proper mechanics, etc...) but am beginning to believe that it doesn't matter that much!

I do like the rotation system that you use in Washington. The same officials work the tournaments just about every year. The only rotation that they use is that maybe you officiaite a 1A tourney this year and a 2A tourney next. There are a number of good young officials that would stay in it if they had an opportunity to work a state tournament.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

I'm also in Washington State. We send 2 to 4A, and 1 to 3A, 2A, 1A and B. Our local rule is that you have to sit a year if you've gone two years in a row.

Z
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Smile Sit out rule!

We have what some consider to be a sit out rule. You can work three years in a row but when you think of it, your work three, sit out one and then work three more you are working 6 out of 7 years so it is not really accomplishing much!
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

I know an official working a state tournament that, prior to this season, never worked a post-season game.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

What is the big deal getting a post season assignment?
In this state you have regionals,sectionals,super sectionals and state. I have turned down regional games because of the distance of travel. Some assignments were 2-3 hours away and you get to do the #1 seed and 12th seed. so why do a game that is a blow out. They pay milage but only to 1 of the 3 officials. They expect you to ride together. That would be great to ride together, if all of us were from the same area, but most of the officials are coming from different parts of the state. I'll get excited when I get a supersectional assignment, then I will travel the distance. For right now I have done enough of the blow out varsity games during the regular season in my own area.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CLAY
What is the big deal getting a post season assignment?
In this state you have regionals,sectionals,super sectionals and state. I have turned down regional games because of the distance of travel. Some assignments were 2-3 hours away and you get to do the #1 seed and 12th seed. so why do a game that is a blow out. They pay milage but only to 1 of the 3 officials. They expect you to ride together. That would be great to ride together, if all of us were from the same area, but most of the officials are coming from different parts of the state. I'll get excited when I get a supersectional assignment, then I will travel the distance. For right now I have done enough of the blow out varsity games during the regular season in my own area.
I think such attitide is pitiful. Don't be surprised that opportunities stop coming your way when you turn down opportunities.

What if someone said...Hey, I'm not going to take a post season game unless it's the state finals!!!

You're not likely to get a later round game until you've proven yourself on the earlier round game. Most people work their way up through the system by taking the 1 vs 16 game first. Next year maybe they get the 3 vs 14, then maybe the 7 vs 10. Perhaps they 2nd round games come along between the 2 vs 7.

If I were an assingor, I'd be inclined to give that game (and the better ones to follow) to someone else who doesn't have the attitude of "I'm too good for that game". There are lots of officials that are equally good that don't have a bad attitude. They'll get the good games.

The point you make about the mileage is crazy and that should be addressed.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

cmatthews

Wyoming, huh? What part? I used to be in Green River.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Cameron. I bit my tongue (fingers??) and ignored that post. For those of us who truly work for and cherish post season work it seemed blasphemous.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2004, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Cameron
Point well taken and well worded. Officials with that attitude should go back to being players.
Old Wed Mar 03, 2004, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Re: cmatthews

Quote:
Originally posted by icallfouls
Wyoming, huh? What part? I used to be in Green River.
Right now I am in Cheyenne, originally from NE Wyoming, Sundance, Hulett area.....when did you leave big wonderful wyoming???
Old Thu Mar 04, 2004, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

WYOMING

I left Wyoming in 1990 after graduation from UW, the Fennis Dembo era.